Corsair Community

TWINX2048-3200C2 Compatibility Issue

achugh

Hi,

I have a Dell Dimension 4600 box and had purchased the TWINX2048-3200C2 memory. When I got the memory, it did not work as my computer always beeps as soon as I put this memory into the box. On some research on google, I found that this memory is not compatible with the Dell Dimension 4600.

Before placing my order I did not know about the Corsair Memory Configuration Wizard available online. To save me from headaches, I checked the Onwers Manual which said that the box can accept DDR 400 PC3200 1GB memory sticks. Also I checked that the existing stick (that came from Dell along with the box) is infact PC3200 DDR 400. So I order the TWINX thinking there will be less problems since the memory is matched (comes in pairs).

To my surprise the memory is not compatible and now the reseller from where I bought is giving me hard time.

I bought this mmeory from Computer3G at http://www.3gplaza.com/.

I checked the authorized resellers on the Corsair web site and this guy is not listed.

Is there anything that can be done now? Can Corsair exchange this memory with the one that is compatible (having the same size and speed) with Dell Dimension 4600?

Hoping to get a positive reply back,

-Amit Chugh

My CPU is a Pentium 4 2.8GHz. I don't know how I can find the FSB speed? If you can tell me where to look, I can find this information for you.

In the mean time you can get all the information by viewing the Owner's Manual of Dell Dimension 4600 at http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4600/

Let me know if you need any other infomation and I will gladly provide that to you.

-Amit

Service Tag # DPWCM51

I will be going on a vacation starting next week for a week i.e. from 31st Jul thru 6th Aug.

If any of the support team replies here and does not hear back from me its because I am not able to get access to the internet to check this web site.

While I am gone please don't close this thread. I will be getting back to you all as soon as I get back i.e. 6th Aug.

Also while doing some googling I found that it is been said that this DELL motherboard lacks some of the BIOS settings required for the XMS memory to work with this box.

So can I get an exchange for the one supported for DELL Dimension 4600 as per the Online Configuration wizard?

-Amit

Corsair can't switch the memory with a different model, as they didn't sell it. Also, I don't think they make System Select 1 GB DDR1 sticks. Also, we don't close threads here. Also, your research is correct, Dell BIOSes are very limited, which is partially why XMS memory generally won't work in them. Dells are built for stability, not extreme performance in general.

1 M5264 PROCESSOR, 80546, 2.8, 1M, PENTIUM 4 PRESCOTT DT, 533, D0 
2 J0201 DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 256, 400M, 32X64, 8K, 184

• 1 month later...
I also have a Dell 4600. So does this mean that there is no way to get the Corsair Twinx2048-3200 to work on my computer? I just got it from Newegg and it beeps as well. The code above is it to be able to use the RAM or is it some part of the other guys computer?

Archived