Corsair Community

133x SD Flash doesn't work with my camera

Stutturdreki

Hi, I recently bought a 512MB x133 SD card from Newegg to use with my HP Photosmart R707 camera but it doesn't work as expected.

It seemed to work fine at first, I have no problem taking pictures, but when I try to browse through the pictures taken on the camera it locks up. Also when I try to copy the pictures from the SD card via card reader or simply try to view the pictures through Windows Explorer the Explorer crashes.

I have another SD card from Kingston that works fine on the camera and card reader.

According the the HP website the R707 camera supports 512MB SD flash and I have upgraded to the latest firmware, which supposedly has some fixes to similiar problems as I'm experiencing. I also formated the SD card both on my camera and in my card reader but no change. I have not tried the SD card in another camera but I have tested two different card readers on two different computers and also attempting to transfer the pictures via USB fails.

Anything else I can try to see if the SD card is not compateble with my camera or is the SD card simply broken?

I refused to believe the Corsair SD Flash was broken so I did a little testing on my own:

Put the SD Card in another HP Photosmart camera (model M317 or M417.. cant remember which) and got the same results, could take pictures but not view them again or transfer them from the Camera / SD Card again.

Put the SD Card in a Cannon SD550 Camera and it worked without any problems!

Put 450MB of mp3's on the card in Computer A card reader and played them in Computer's B card reader without failure.

Put the SD Card in a iPAQ 5000 Series and found no problems reading / writing from it.

So still want me to return it or is it simply incompatible with HP Cameras? This one seems to work for most things, just not the thing I wanted it to, and getting a new one might not change anything.

Hi, I recently bought a 512MB x133 SD card from Newegg to use with my HP Photosmart R707 camera but it doesn't work as expected.

It seemed to work fine at first, I have no problem taking pictures, but when I try to browse through the pictures taken on the camera it locks up. Also when I try to copy the pictures from the SD card via card reader or simply try to view the pictures through Windows Explorer the Explorer crashes.

I have another SD card from XXXXXXXXX that works fine on the camera and card reader.

According the the HP website the R707 camera supports 512MB SD flash and I have upgraded to the latest firmware, which supposedly has some fixes to similiar problems as I'm experiencing. I also formated the SD card both on my camera and in my card reader but no change. I have not tried the SD card in another camera but I have tested two different card readers on two different computers and also attempting to transfer the pictures via USB fails.

Anything else I can try to see if the SD card is not compateble with my camera or is the SD card simply broken?

Actually, as the RAM GUY said, chalk that up to a compatibility issue. Many compact point-and-shoot digital cameras do not properly support any of the ultra-high-speed SD cards; in fact, attempting to use such cards in such devices may result in data corruption.

Judging by your HP camera's specs, a 133X SD card is way overkill, since the HP camera lacks a true continuous shooting mode (camera cannot take more than three shots in succession when in burst shooting mode); in contrast, many Canon point-and-shoot compacts offer a true continuous-shooting mode which may require at least a 60X card in order for such a feature to work correctly. In fact, even a 60X card would be overkill in that HP camera, since its video mode is fixed at 320x240 resolution (which doesn't come anywhere close to the rated write speed of even a 60X card, even at 30 fps). Thus, the only cards that would work properly in that HP camera are those cards which have no speed rating at all whatsoever or an extremely low speed rating (say, 20X to 40X).

By the way, Stutturdreki,

Note that by default, the Corsair SD cards ship formatted using FAT32, which most compact digital cameras do not support. If you find that your camera fails to detect the Corsair SD card, you may have to use a separate card reader/writer connected to a computer system to reformat your new Corsair card with FAT instead of FAT32 before you can put your new card in your camera.

I've had my Pentax *istDL and corsair 1gb 133x memory card for 4 months and they worked together perfectly. However, the card stopped working in the last week. I was able to take pictures seemingly without problems (the # pictures remaining kept going down), but when I tried to access the pictures on my computer, there was an error. The next day, I formatted the card on my camera and it worked again. Today I could not even take pictures and when I tried to reformat the card, I got a "memory card error" on my camera. I'm certain that I did not drop the card or do anything to damage it, but I don't understand why it stopped working all of the sudden. Any suggestions?

Archived