Corsair Community

2 Bad Memory Chips

I am not sure how both went bad at the same time but that seems to be what happened.

My computer gives various error messages & also reboots randomly.

I have created a boot disk & ran various Memory Errors. Both of my chips appear to be bad according to these tests.

Part Number VS512MB400C3.

I ordered them as a pair from newegg.com on 3/18/2004.

I have run memtest86+ on both of my chips though I did not note how many errors were generated on each specific chip. I just know they both did error.

If there are any other specific details you would like to get or other steps you would like me to take (I have formatted my OS & removed excessive hardware. Errors continued till I purchased a different memory chip to put into my system.) I will be more than willing to do so.

• Corsair Employees

Getting errors with both modules would suggest some other problem.

Please use the ASUS Bios 1.013 or newer and then, please try these settings:

With the A7N8X-E please set the FSB jumper to pins 2-3 with the modules in slots 2-3 and then reset or clear the bios and load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and set the timings manually. Then please test the system with http://www.memtest.org.

CPU Freq: 200 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 200 MHz

Memory timings: By SPD

Would results in these settings

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP):3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T

Graphics Aperture Size is 128 MB

If you get errors please test the modules one at a time to make sure one is not failing, I have had 4 of these exact MB's and this is what had to be done to solve problems with aggressive memory, no matters who's I tested. In addition, a few other's had some success disabling Spread Spectrum in the bios as well.

Archived