Corsair Community

CMFUSBSF2.0-128 won't complete boot

fhj52

I think you might be correct that there is something wrong with the stick. I did a couple of large file transfers(50MB). I expected it to take 10/15 minutes or so each time. It took well over an hour, almost two, to transfer 49.1MB (written to a FAT16 filesystem).

I realize mine is the "Flash Drive" (CMFUSBSF2.0-128) even if the OEM string says Corsair Flash Voyager but it should still transfer something close to the spec rate. When I bought it the data rate was published at

Speed: 11MB/s read and 6.5MB/s write.

It is practically new too since it has been sitting almost unused since I bought it.

Due to subsystem(FAT16, etc.) I sort of expected/hoped 2 or 3MB/s but the transfer rate averaged about 22kB/s. That is, as I am sure you know, terrible. ...

I'll fill out the forms and hopefully the new one will work better.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Regards,

fhj

No Problem, please let me know when you get the new drive![/QUote]Yes, problem. The form is broken with Firefox 1.5.

It requires part number. If I select type and size, the form leaves the part number blank. Trying to proceed it tells me to go back and enter the part number. One cannot enter the part number and there are no numbers in the list to select(it's empty).

If I select the part number from the list first, it will not fill in the Type and size. If I select one of those it clears the part number. ...

and around and around we go.... wheeeeeeeeee.... :roll:

Got another way? Perhaps a form that is not so smart and allows the user to enter the data by typing it into blocks on the form. Edit: I found it under Warranty assistance page and completed the form.

If I get to windoz today(not likely) will try IE & see if it works.

FYI: It is completely broken with Linux ( KDE ) Konqueror - won't even allow first page to be filled.

Regards,

fhj

PS: The dead horse comment has been bothering me. You/Corsair are of course entitled to view non-MS OS any way desired, however, Just to Make a Point and ease my mind a bit:

Linux and Apple already have > 15% of the desktop market. That's a pretty good piece of the pie and it is growing. There are entire countries that have standarized with Linux and others are considering the same thing. Firefox is the standard browser included with all *nix distros. Even minimalist ones like DamnSmallLinux have it available.(BTW, DSL will run on a USB 128MB stick... not here* but others can run it.)

It is not difficult to have Firefox support across all platforms. All one is required to do is follow the well known and well established web standards for the code (AND those are NOT from Microsoft Corp.).

Most servers run *nix. The choice of Linux has become a no brainer for implementing a server whenever it is possible. The people on planet Earth that use the most memory are those running servers regardless of what type of server. It would be to Corsair's financial advantage to step over the so-called "dead horse" and embrace the high end desktop and server market which run some *nix(IOW, BSD s/b included).

*here means due to issues beyond the control of Corsair;

• Corsair Employee

Well I would agree, and I did not mean to imply that we will not support other O.S. just that it’s not the main stream. We were in fact using UNIX on our sever; so it’s not an issue with UNIX or Linux. I have used Linux and have tested the forms we have with a few different versions. So they should work as long as you say; the standards are followed with what ever version of Linux you have and you have the latest updates installed.

I will ask our Forum Guru to take a look and see if there is something that we need to do or correct.

[snip]

I will ask our Forum Guru to take a look and see if there is something that we need to do or correct.

I have not seen that kind of problem before... i just wanted to let you guys know about it since you have tried so hard to assist me to get boot with a DOS I can use for phlash.exe. I appreciate your efforts.

FYI: It was with Firefox 1.5.0.4 for (SUSE) Linux; Running openSUSE 10.1 & KDE at that time. I do have some addons(adblock, session manager, etc.) so if a test with linux firefox runs okay, I'll presume it is something here(and try to hunt it down and kill it! ;): ).

I just checked Firefox 1.5.0.5 on Win2k-AS and it does the same thing.

I checked it using IE6 and it also does that.

I am thinking that the intent was to be one or the other.

I.e., Customer either enters the Type and Size or customer can enter the Part Number; mutually exclusive ...

That's not what it says on the page but that seems to be the way it works (for " USB Flash(black)" ).

Or maybe something else ... i.e., the "Corsair Flash Voyager" that I have(rev 1) is not a Flash Voyager anymore according to the Corsair sales page. It is just "USB Flash" drive (the black one) with 3 RAM sizes. After playing with the page, I can get the correct part number for my "USB Flash" if "Flash Voyager" is chosen but not if "USB Flash(black)" is chosen.

Perhaps the page is just not updated ... ?

Update on the boot issue: GBT tells me that they can use the same BIOS I have and make the boot work with their USB FD. Hopefully the Corsair replacement will work too.

c-ya

• Corsair Employee

The bios will have to support forcing the flash drive to work a floppy, but normally most MB Bios will see flash drives as if they are USB HDD.

Thanks for the info one our web page reported to the Administrator!

Archived