Corsair Community

CMFUSBSF2.0-128 won't complete boot

fhj52

Title tells the result.

I have tried a number of different methods, most successful, being with FreeDOS and the HP Boot Key utility. The last method was using the mbrtool.exe provided by the mainboard vendor.

The FD boots and then dies. Screen has

FreeDOS FAT Kernel_

where the underline is a blinking cursor. That's it - cannot get past that point.

I bought the flash drive because I need a bootable "drive" that does not involve the unreliable, scourge of PCs everywhere and for all time floppy disks ( regardless of size ). I hatem and have for 20+ years...

Thanks to Corsair I hopefully will never see one here again.

I tried months back with a plain old floppy disk copy and it failed; did not have time to devote to it. For the last week I have been trying various and sundry methods but none have worked. It is important that i get this to work. I must flash the BIOS for the mainboard (and an adapter card too).

There is one possible issue(that I know about) which only Corsair can answer.

My BIOS (Phoenix) recognizes the USB device as USB 1.1 and I do not understand why. The onboard controller is via the nVidia 2200 chipset( EHCI usb 2.0 as well as the OHCI).

Is there a CMFUSBSF2.0 related reason the BIOS would think that it is a USB 1.1 device rather than a USB 2.0 device?

And, would some wise and powerful admin post a specific sticky on this subject of booting flash drives (with the purpose of loading vendor specific flash programs)?

I did a search for "boot disk" and got TWO HUNDRED SIXTY SEVEN PAGES of supposedly related text and answers.:eek:

After an hour of reading and a rejected email to Ram Guy(via Tech support page), I decided there were no answers for my issue in those pages and came here to ask.

I cannot read 267 pages of forum stuff ... :roll:

Please assist as I am slowly but surely losing my mind over this since I know it should work but it does not. I suspect something very basic is incorrect. It could be the Corsair Flash Voyager.

It will boot (MS) DOS, right?

fhj

And, would some wise and powerful admin post a specific sticky on this subject of booting flash drives (with the purpose of loading vendor specific flash programs)?
If Corsair posts info about their own bootable testing, I'd sticky it. If a user posts clear info, I'd sticky it as well, although it'd be looked at with a bit more scrutiny. Don't have a Corsair USB stick (haven't bought one in years), so I can't do any testing myself. I'll poke around the Jack Flash area and the web though.

Wow! That was fast. :)

I can call but need to know what "in front of the system" entails.

I use multiple OS but prefer Linux so typically run with it.

I do have Win2k-AS installed and can boot to it if that is what is going to be required(typical ...).

Other "in front of the system" requirements?

Wow! That was fast. :)

I can call but need to know what "in front of the system" entails.

I use multiple OS but prefer Linux so typically run with it.

I do have Win2k-AS installed and can boot to it if that is what is going to be required(typical ...).

Other "in front of the system" requirements?

Probably just your keister in front of the PC with the USB stick in hand :)

If Corsair posts info about their own bootable testing, I'd sticky it. If a user posts clear info, I'd sticky it as well, although it'd be looked at with a bit more scrutiny. Don't have a Corsair USB stick (haven't bought one in years), so I can't do any testing myself. I'll poke around the Jack Flash area and the web though.
Oh Wise and Powerful Admin, :D: , can anybody do such a thing?

I think only those with superhuman powers could traverse into the forum and read all that * and still remain sane.

If you can do it, you are truly a Powerful Admin! -no way I would try it as I am sure I would lose the few fragments of sanity remaining. The dozen or so guides I have read in the last week took most of it. :D:

FreeDOS is an amazing convolution of facts and guesses, much like MS DOS was way back when...

One day the scourge of floppy will ceast to exist and if Corsair Inc. is half as smart as the memory they sell, they will get on the stick, the "memory stick", so to speak, and get a guide for you. Corsair will make lot$ by advertising "replace the floppy with our XYZ stick". It is not an easy task but it can be done.

And the wonderful side benefit: possibly a final end to the ISA bus ...

Thanks for the reply. :)

fhj

Been there done that... and a few others too. The bootdisk,com site looked promising ... and might be since I have not tried 'their' version yet.

Thanks.

fhj

RE:

How To Boot From A USB Flash Drive: http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm

Driver Free Disk For BIOS Flashing == ONLY for floppy: http://www.bootdisk.com/

Yes with a Windows based system and some blank floppy's
Floppies? :) RAM Guy has a sense of humor. At least I hope that's a joke, ... right?

The issue is that I need to use the flash drive as a bootable drive because I don't have floppies.

I do have various floppy boot files, command.com and kernel.sys for example from FreeDOS + others ( there are bootdisks available...).

Thanks for the reply.

fhj

Yeah, I think what Ram Guy is thinking is to make a bootable floppy, then to copy over the files to the USB drive that's formatted in the same file system. I'm assuming your motherboard is capable of USB booting, right?

Yeah, I think what Ram Guy is thinking is to make a bootable floppy, then to copy over the files to the USB drive that's formatted in the same file system. I'm assuming your motherboard is capable of USB booting, right?
YES ! YES ! YES!!!

I got boot!!!!!

Dear Lord have Mercy this was almost too unbelievably complicated.

More or less, Corsair should thank Ed Jablonowski of bootdisk.com for getting it to work. He does not provide the method but does provide the means.

There are several key issues:

(1) fdisk does not have the ability to make a disk bootable unless it is the first disk it sees. One must put the USB device as the first device in the boot priority BEFORE formatting the device. RE: http://ucsu.colorado.edu/~shaher/Bootable_USB.html

My system allows for the USB device to be other than first and can boot to it by selection during the boot process. I don't know how many times it was not *first* in the list and I did the formats anyway. All these programs use fdisk so no wonder it did not work...

(2) one needs to obtain a MS DOS boot disk image. NO floppy needed; just the image and it must be a Microshaft image because the Corsair utility does not work with any other DOS. It ONLY works with a MS DOS because it requires IO.SYS which is only available on MS DOS.

( Corsair should really fix that ... )

The bootdisk.com "floppy" boot disks have all the needed files.

(3) the files from the floppy image have to be extracted so the Corsair Security Utility can access them. The WinImage program can do that.

The files that Corsair Utility demands are command.com and io.sys; it will also install msdos.sys. The format makes W95 FAT16 fielsystem...

All of those things, except the Flash Voyager Utility, can be found at http://www.bootdisk.com/

After beating myself up for a week trying to get this to work, it does now. I confess that I am fairly upset that FreeDOS and others did not work and even more that it is mandatory to use any MS product.

I own Windows 98[as well as 95OSR2b, NT4 and NT5(2000)] so there is no license issue here. However, I don't know about people who want to use the Corsair Utility and install the files for WinXX boot. If they don't own Win98, it might be infringement. :eek:

If interested, I'll put the steps together and you can post it.

Thanks for sticking with me. Hopefully the brain cells I lost with all the nonsense elesewhere will soon be rejuvenated. :):

fhj

Something's missing. What does the Corsair Utility have to do with booting off of the device? What are you using it for after you boot? Are you booting into just DOS, or a specific OS?
The Corsair_Flash_Voyager_Utility (

http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/drivers/win98/Corsair_Flash_Voyager_Utility.exe ) allows "Format" of the device and "Make a bootdisk" of the device. It also has some other widgets as shown on Page 8 of the User's Manual for Flash Security Software(PDF). It formats the memory stick as W95 FAT with Large Block Addressing(LBA) and, as mentioned, copies over the needed files to make the device boot.

I have not used it(the bootable memory stick) for anything yet but my primary purpose is to have a USB key that will substitute for a floppy drive when the mainboard or adapters need a BIOS update. ... My mainboard vendor told me that their software will work on a USB flash drive that has been made a DOS boot drive. Others should too.

It boots into MS DOS. Because of the image I chose to use it boots Win 98 DOS, to be specific, but other MS DOS should be possible. It just depends upon what boot disk image is used.

Vendors' 'flash update' utilities expect end users to have floppy drives and floppies to use their software to update BIOS. That, IMHO, is really a terrible thing. Floppies were never very good but the quality of them now is terrible. Drives have not improved and the storage space is still 1.4MB, as it was twenty years ago. Ridiculous!

I suppose it(the FV bootable key) could do a lot of other things, such as have CDROM access, a menu to choose various things, etc. but I only need it currently as a bootable drive that will store enough files to do updates, i.e, run vendors flash update programs.

Eventually, it(FV) will store files for transport or become a Linux bootable drive. I'd really like the latter but it does not look too promising after this experience.

That, of course, will be after I get the 16MB MMC I have to be a bootable drive, :):. (Next mini-project... using a USB MMC reader. That 16MB MMC came with the camera and has no other purpose in life since it was replaced with the 512MB SD disk. It would be a great "floppy" disk for BIOS updates ... it even looks like a floppy. )

c-ya

• Corsair Employees
This can be very tricky and requires the user to have a good understanding of DOS. I actually had a sticky about it a while ago, but pulled it when a user complained her formatted his HDD because he did not understand the directions. And one of the reasons that I will request the user to call our tech support instead! Most people do not know anything about DOS unless they have been a long time X 86 users.

This can be very tricky and requires the user to have a good understanding of DOS. I actually had a sticky about it a while ago, but pulled it when a user complained her formatted his HDD because he did not understand the directions. And one of the reasons that I will request the user to call our tech support instead! Most people do not know anything about DOS unless they have been a long time X 86 users.
Funny you should mention that. I wrote a brief 'How2' for the folks at 2CPU.com ( who also have this mobo ) and decided not to post it because of that reason. It is going to need more explanation to be 'safe' for everybody that can read and understand English.

You should not feel bad about that person and try to re-write the guide. Understanding of DOS is not a big deal to get the memory stick formatted properly with the files needed _if_ the utility does its job. Once the key boots properly, they are on their own, IMHO.

The Corsair FV Utility worked with the image file from bootdisk.com. Unfortunately, the flash software starts and then freaks-out. I nearly had a heart attack when the screen went blank and all white!

I do wish I could use Linux for the flash software. MS DOS is so Yech! I started using DOS in the 80's but, admittedly, have forgotten most of the little tricks of the trade, so to speak. Fixing the screen issue, if that is all it is, won't be easy. If it was Linux, it would be a lot easier for me and, possibly, others. At the very least, the Corsair utility should not require a MS DOS since it a) does not always work for intended purpose and (b) there are possible copyright infringement issues.

The BIOS still recognizes the device as USB 1.1. I need to know why. Will you please edify me as to the possible reason?

The mainboard vendor was kind enough to show me several pictures of other memory sticks that are USB 2.0 and the BIOS correctly recognizes them as USB 2.0 from the same ports I have been using and with the same BIOS settings. If this device is USB 2.0, it should be recognized as such.

Thanks,

fhj

edit: spelling, clarification, etc...

• Corsair Employees
The mainboard vendor was kind enough to show me several pictures of other memory sticks that are USB 2.0 and the BIOS correctly recognizes them as USB 2.0 from the same ports I have been using and with the same BIOS settings. If this device is USB 2.0, it should be recognized as such.

They dont understand flash products only to show you there is other choice that dont need their support. We use a slightly different way to make our USB drive and one of the reasons its so much faster than any of the drives they used in comparrison. We use an embedded HUB before the Flash drive and one of the reasons some MB's have trouble with the drive. But we were after performance not making MB makers happy!. Tell the MB maker I said to wake up and smell the coffee! Or they will be left behind!

I do wish I could use Linux for the flash software. MS DOS is so Yech! I started using DOS in the 80's but, admittedly, have forgotten most of the little tricks of the trade, so to speak. Fixing the screen issue, if that is all it is, won't be easy. If it was Linux, it would be a lot easier for me and, possibly, others. At the very least, the Corsair utility should not require a MS DOS since it a) does not always work for intended purpose and (b) there are possible copyright infringement issues.

Dos is the standard is the main reason and the fact that its 90% of the market is Dos/X86 Based systems, so I understand froma buissness standpoint why its used. And there are so many variants of Linux and any software you write for linux is open source so you are just giving you information away. However, if you do a google search for how to with linux there and more than 200 links you will find on how to Boot/use a USB flash drive with Linux, we just do not support it sorry. It will just take some effort on your part to make it work. http://www.usbman.com and http://www.snapfiles.com are two great sites to look for USB support with any O.S.

The Corsair FV Utility worked with the image file from bootdisk.com. Unfortunately, the flash software starts and then freaks-out. I nearly had a heart attack when the screen went blank and all white!

You really need to use a floppy to make the image some of the files need to be in a specific location and sometimes the image will not work well unless u do it from a floppy.

You should not feel bad about that person and try to re-write the guide. Understanding of DOS is not a big deal to get the memory stick formatted properly with the files needed _if_ the utility does its job. Once the key boots properly, they are on their own, IMHO.

I would agree with you! For most people it would not be a problem! However, it just takes one to make life hard for the rest of us! Life is not that simple with the use of lawyers and such it restricts what you can do in the real world!

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2035&stc=1&d=1154022550

We use an embedded HUB before the Flash drive and one of the reasons some MB's have trouble with the drive.
Is the HUB a USB 1.x version?

I'll be glad to inform Gigabyte to "Wake Up!" and in fact have already queried them a couple of times about the USB 1.1 -vs- USB 2.0 recognition problem. They seem amiable and would probably make the BIOS do right if they knew what to do.

Perhaps this is case where Corsair needs to work with the vendor, Phoenix and/or Gigabyte, directly, if such has not been done, to provide the hardware related information they need to make it work properly.

Dos is the standard is the main reason and the fact that its 90% of the market is Dos/X86 Based systems, so I understand froma buissness standpoint why its used. And there are so many variants of Linux and any software you write for linux is open source so you are just giving you information away.[snip]
Yes the market is still mostly Microsoft, albeit less than 85% of desktops now and much, much lower for servers.

No, Open Source Software is not a requirement for Linux. That is a pretty huge misunderstanding. E.g., nVidia has closed source binaries they have been providing to Linux users for many years(at least 5-6 years). I won't debate the need for OSS as it is pointless since nVidia, and probably Corsair too, have good reasons for not making the code available. Others, Mathematica, CAD, etc. have closed source binaries that they sell to *nix users.

There is absolutely nothing in the GPL license, any version, that prevents anybody from creating closed source software to run on Linux kernel. We don't like it because it can cause problems like the one I am having but that's another issue.

There are no variants of " Linux " (by Torvalds et al). This is another huge misunderstanding. There is only one "Linux" kernel and all the vendors for Linux desktops/servers use it in one of its versions. The "variants" are from the vendors' implementations and, speaking from experience, there is really very little difference. ...

I did the Linux and FreeDOS method first because that is what the vendor(GBT) uses. A week of searching and reading and trying various methods. It does not work with this stick or rather, humbly, I should say that I cannot get it to work, yet, with this stick.

You really need to use a floppy to make the image some of the files need to be in a specific location and sometimes the image will not work well unless u do it from a floppy.
A floppy image is the same as using a floppy if the image was created correctly. The same image is used to make a floppy. If the utility is doing the job correctly, there should be absolutely no diff. The Corsair FV Utility works, albeit only with microsoft that has io.sys binary.

I cannot use a floppy disk.

If Corsair or GBT want to send me a floppy drive and at least five floppy disks(since three/four will probably be bad), I'll make the effort to install them. No? :): Well then we need to get the Corsair memory stick working with FreeDOS!

I would agree with you! For most people it would not be a problem! However, it just takes one to make life hard for the rest of us! Life is not that simple with the use of lawyers and such it restricts what you can do in the real world!
I know... am sorry that happened. It is (too) often that careless people make life difficult for everybody else. Every plastic/paper cup used for coffee now has a big warning on it that the *hot* beverage is really and truly *hot* and some even provide the 'Take Precautions...' advice/stuff. Honestly, I lose IQ points every time I buy a cup...

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2035&stc=1&d=1154022550

That is really cute and to the point! Especially when one knows that the spring-loaded trap wire just might not hit the head(it is designed to not hit it...).

I need to know if I need to buy some other media. (no, a floppy drive and disks are not on the list ;):).

If this is somehow a device that requires Microshaft OS to work as a bootable device, ... that wont work for me. Does it require MS DOS because of microcode on the device?

Please get an answer to that as I will be spending many more hours in pointless and fruitless effort if the device requires something in io.sys that cannot be obtained via FreeDOS or some other OS.

Thank you for helping. It is truly appreciated. E.g., I don't have Corsair SDRAM at this time because there were no dual channel, single rank that I could buy( 1G sticks ) but if/when there are, I will surely make the Corsair a considered choice and if the parameters needed fit, will buy it. :):

c-ya

fhj

• Corsair Employees

No it’s a 2.0 USB Hub, and sorry about the humor but I have to keep it light or I go crazy LOL

I would suggest we try replacing your drive and see if it still shows up as a USB 2.0 device if not its not the drive causing that problem, as it should show up as USB 2.0 But I have not tested Giga-Byte MB's they might show all devices as USB 1.1 in the bios. How does it show in Windows?

There are no variants of “Linux “(by Torvalds et al). This is another huge misunderstanding. There is only one "Linux" kernel and all the vendors for Linux desktops/servers use it in one of its versions. The "variants" are from the vendors' implementations and, speaking from experience, there is really very little difference. ...

Yes I agree, until you get into a license or technical issue then you have to deal with the version vendor (REDHAT, Mandrake, Ect.) to resolve the issue and its not unlike Microsoft's support IE: "Pay first we decide later if you get your money back" kind of support.

Any way it’s a mute point as I know we will not officially support any open source software. Unless the market demands change it’s not expected to change. Sorry but there is no sense in beating a dead horse.

Floppies are just lying around I would look for an old system and just barrow one as it may make the task easier. As I said from experience using the floppy to get the information works better sometimes. But you also have tom run with what you bring as well so I understand just a suggestion as I know it our software does not officially support from an image you have to use a floppy. Did you try the web sites I gave you before I think you will find everything you need but it will take a bit of searching?

P.S. You are welcome to call us at 800-205-7657 and ask for Ram Guy I will be happy to talk to you in more detail.

No I have not tried those links yet as I wanted to make sure that the FV is all USB 2.0 and that this memory stick is not some kind of win-memory (like the win modems) before investing additional effort.

Also, I needed to be sure that when I tell GBT, again, that the device is USB 2.0 it really is. I have already asked them why it shows USB 1.1 rather than USB 2.0. The answer was, basically, ' Ours, three kinds, work here. ' and they provided pics to show it those three types and the screens displaying USB 2.0. The trick is that they are using a a new BIOS version(and a BETA too!) so I don't know if my 'stock' version handles USB 2.0 on memory sticks properly. They are nice people but getting straight answers and valuabe info is harder than pulling teeth...

I have attached some pics of what GBT gets using the other memory sticks, including the FreeDOS boot.

The BIOS I have shows " Corsair Flash Voyager " in the BIOS setup. When I boot, the BIOS display shows '' USB 1.1: Corsair Flash Voyager ''.

I am not sure what Win2k thinks it is; did not look before. I will later and edit this to add that info.

Edit: Win2k has no info beyond it being Corsair Flash Voyager version 1. The HUB that loads is a "Generic HUB" and has no USB specific revision info attached to it.

Also various programs I have did not provide any additional info to confirm USB 2.0. It appears that all of them are getting the SMBIOS data and all that is programmed by Corsair/manufacturer to show is the OEM info.

I may have been there, at those links, before ... so many, I sort-of lost track. I will try them next. I still have a couple of ideas to try before I give up and try to replace the stick. In particular, a new BIOS. ;):

Edit2: I had not used those links before but just as well since they went to a Dead End street. The USBman site might have been useful but the search engine is broken so there is no way to look for 'USB boot' info.

This has become a sort-of issue about not using a floppy. I paid a lot for this system and as odd as it may sound, booting to USB was one of the reasons I bought it. I don't wish to bore anybody so suffice to say have spent way tooo much time (and money) with floppies. They are no good. .(period)

However, humor is good. I like humor. :):

c-ya

fhj

FreeDOS.thumb.JPG.d1152182a315d5a6c274c359bd0dd5ed.JPG

529357808_POST-F13y.thumb.JPG.a07f0fb6f1bd5cfc151030373f1c6721.JPG

1771045796_USB2.0-BIOS.thumb.JPG.93fe058d3d6e917ec98934fe0d7c3606.JPG

67279899_USBFlashDrives.thumb.JPG.3f89ee53ad85efea5efe5f69e1330751.JPG

849712373_USBSettings.thumb.JPG.28a0baaf2f2fce9bdc88b8785f373564.JPG

• Corsair Employees
I think we should just replace the drive and go from there, it should show its USB 2.0 and there may be some problem with the drive that maybe adding or complicating the problem. So lets just get you a new one and go from there! I will try to get one and test it here with that version of DOS but I have mine with Win98 and use it as a emergency drive.

I suspect you are correct. You should know....

I looked thru the usual windoz places for USB 2.0 info on the FV stick. nada... Best is that it presents a "Generic USB HUB"; absolutely nothing about what USB version it is. It does appear to be Flash Voyager rev 1.0 but that's not the USB version.

I have, more or less, determined that the problem is in the boot sector. However, I don't know if it is the device or the software writing it that causes the problem. It gets stuck...

I have to stop trying to get it to work. I already spent way, way too much time on it and after (all) last night am convinced the stick will not work on my system with any other OS than the Win98 containing the IO.SYS that the Corsair Utility uses. Major problem is that it is too big(not enuf room for other programs) and apparently not as stable as needed.

Funny, one reason for using USB memory stick in the first place is that there is not a 1.44MB limitation, yet the software configures the device as a 1.44MB device. Go figure that, :roll:

My head hurts... :D:

There is a tool that is available from several different sources and, hence, known by different names (Dell calls it R90425, GBT has it as mbrtool.exe, ...) but they are all the same: mbrtool.exe. The Windows installable version is called Memory Key Boot Utility which you can get elsewhere if you want but am attaching it anyway as a zip file.

I have seen a few posts that it "just works"; of course I saw the same about the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool and it does not work either, here.

It does two things: format the memory stick and, optionally, make the memory stick bootable with FreeDOS. Less than a minute to do it...

That's the same tool GBT provided and I'd like to know if it is going to work (complete boot) with the Corsair FV Rev 1 stick on another system. If it does not, then the stick probably just cannot work. If it does, at least I know that there's hope, :):.

Being as it is the weekend, I'll check back Monday to see if that sounds okay and get details on RMA if needed.

Thanks again.

fhj

usb_memkey.zip

• Corsair Employees
In order to make it Boot I think you are going to have to do a few things first you need to boot the system with a CD or Floppy but the flash drive needs to be seen in your bios as one if the boot able devices in the Boot menu then boot the system with CD or Floppy and Fdisk and format the Flash drive as if it were a HDD and the see if it will boot. But u maybe have to disable your HDD or remove it from the Boot menu in the bios, some MB bios will see the flash drive like a HDD and cause this issue. However, some MB's like ASUS will give you the option in the bios to change the way its seen IE floppy or HDD.

In order to make it Boot I think you are going to have to do a few things first you need to boot the system with a CD or Floppy but the flash drive needs to be seen in your bios as one if the boot able devices in the Boot menu then boot the system with CD or Floppy and Fdisk and format the Flash drive as if it were a HDD and the see if it will boot. But u maybe have to disable your HDD or remove it from the Boot menu in the bios, some MB bios will see the flash drive like a HDD and cause this issue. However, some MB's like ASUS will give you the option in the bios to change the way its seen IE floppy or HDD.
Funny you should mention that.

I tried that formatting with multiple partitions using cfdisk in Linux. Windoz recognized the partitions but loading the FreeDOS, and IBMDOS does not work. So far, those are the only two "DOS" that can be used with the GBT BIOS flash utility.

I found another utility from the AdvanceCD project called makeboot fat. I got various results but no boot prompt.

Notably, I used it to see if I can get boot with syslinux and it worked. If I had an image to use, I think it would have loaded it and I could run (some) Linux from the USB stick. That's good to know since that is the long term plan anyway - a portable ' Linux on a stick '.

I have *bad* toothache and in my weakened state from the pain and medicine to ease the pain, broke down & got an old floppy drive ...blah... It does not work. Figures ... :roll:

The really tough part is that MS in their not-so infinite wisdom eliminated DOS with NT(win2k, etc.) so normal/real DOS is not available and real DOS commands do not work in the DOS box. I.e., I cannot use fdisk, sys, etc. That is complicated by the fact that I have a 64-bit system and the DOS emulator in Linux(dosemu) will not run because the vm86plus needed by it is not implemented for 64-bit kernels. It took three days to finally find that piece of information. My head hurts... :D: (it really does!)

I ran '' lsusb -v '' in Linux and found that, according to Linux's USB info, the device is USB 2.0 compliant for both the Prolific storage and hub chips. As best as I could determine, it is "high speed" , not full or low.

THEREFORE. the BIOS is NOT doing its job properly.

Of course i knew that and hence why the BIOS needs to be flashed.

AT this point I am sort-of confused. I think you are correct that it needs to be formatted as a HDD but the only utility I have that might work to do that is makebootfat. When I try disk manager or the Corsair utility, they both format the entire stick as one partition. That would be okay for HDD except in the BIOS it still lists it as "Removable Device" and not in the HDD list.

I am going to write GBT, again, and tell them what is needed and see if they will accomodate.

If you know a specific way to format it so that it is a HDD and not a 'large floppy', please tell me. (of course it cannot involve using a floppy drive ...)

Thanks for your assistance, :):.

c-ya

fhj

Archived