Corsair Community

To run 4*1 GB

janman_dk

With the recent AMD price dump I am planning to give my old MSI K8N Diamond some more umph with a x2 4600+ and more memory.

I am running XP-64 so I should be able to see all 4 GB.

And why do I consider all that memory you might ask: BF2, Visual Studio, SQL server etc...

But I am a bit hesitant to go for 4 GB as the manual states: Dual-sided RAM in all slots can only run at DDR333. Single-sided RAM in all slots can run at DDR400.

But some people say that it is only a limitation for the pre-venice CPUs.

So to avoid any penalties (DDR400->DDR333, 1T->2T, etc) do I still have to find thoose single sided sticks?

I have been looking to find this info but it is often not possible to find this information at e.g Corsair and ex. the Corsair TWINX2048-4000PT I found a test on a site where they stated that it is double sided; the product sheet states that it is 2 banked?!! is that the same?

But it also states that the TWINX2048-4000PT is available in single modules; but then what is the part number?!

So I need advice...

Cheers

Jan

Unfortunately, under your desired performance conditions you will be limited to 2GB maximum. This is because all 1GB unbuffered DDR1 modules (which are the only kind your system supports) are double-sided.

In addition, regardless of the maximum practical memory clockspeed, you will have to use a 2T command rate setting if you use four double-sided modules since 1T will result in an unstable system under such conditions.

Although there's no guarantee, I wouldn't say it's not possible to run 4x1 GB at DDR-400 and 1T. It might depend on your motherboard and specific CPU but I've been running 4x1 GB of Twinx2048-3200C2 @ DDR-410 2.5-3-2-5 1T for about 4 months now under constant heavy computational load with no problems. In fact, it was more stable and I could get better timings running at 1T than at 2T. The default for four sticks is indeed DDR-333 and 2T but you should be able to change those setting in BIOS.

So the results and experiences differs... nothing new there.

OK so my one and only option when it comes to 4 GB is to find a good CAS2 stick; cross my fingers and start fidling ... and if lucky I might even hit 400/1T by relaxing on the timings e.g. CAS -> 2.5 or 3... and live with the results!!

I can live with those odds...

Thanks all

Archived