Corsair Community

Bad stick of memory

predder

Hi,

I'm posting here as requested in the Corsair FAQ to determine if I can RMA a stick of Corsair memory I suspect to be faulty.

I purchased a 1GB kit (2 x 512MB) of Corsair TwinX XMS. The label on each stick reads:

CMX512-3200C2 XMS3202v4.2

XMS3200 512MB 400MHz CL2

This was purchased from a local retailer a little over a year ago and I have since lost the receipt so the retailer in question has referred me to request it be replaced under warranty directly with Corsair.

The problem is basically, my system stopped booting into windows. It bluescreened during loading and reboots or sometimes makes it to the login screen/desktop and promptly flashes a bluescreen and reboots. After trying a few different components I managed to isolate a single stick of my dual channel kit of memory which, when removed, the system would boot fine and operate normally for hours. I put the stick I suspected to be faulty back in and immediately I could no longer boot into windows. I then tried every slot on the motherboard and used just that single stick so I could be sure it wasn't a dual channel issue with no luck. I also tried the same stick in my brothers computer and it caused his windows to not load either.

I ran a memtest86 scan on the memory for about 20 mins which did not turn up an error. I'm certain the memory is an issue rather than windows because I also tried using a knoppix live boot cd which kernel panics during bootup as well and locks up.

How should I procede from here? My motherboard is an Abit AN8 SLI and my brothers is an Abit AN8 Ultra. I've manually relaxed the ram timings on the board and set the command rate to 2T as there are documented issues with it running 1T with no success. The sticks have not been overclocked and the speed, timings and voltage had been set to "by spd" for their life.

Thanks,

Nathan.

There is no SPD setting for memory, therefore your memory is most likely not running under the recommended voltage. Try these settings:

CAS Latency (tCL): 2

RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3

Row Precharge (tRP): 3

Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6

Memory Voltage: 2.7-2.8 Volts (Warrantied up to, but not over, 2.90 volts)

All other settings to defaults.

Source: Corsair XMS Qualification and Testing Information

Archived