Corsair Community

mixing 2700 and 3200

mvand

Hello all,

I have an Asus P4PE board that supports up to 2700 DDR, with a cmx512-2700c2 stick. I have a cmx512-3200c2 I would like to add, but when I put it in it will not boot. Most posts I have read led me to believe that this would work, so I took a chance and purchased the 3200 as it is much cheaper than 2700. I have tried installing it in different memory slots, and alone, with no success. Are there BIOS settings I need to change that will solve my problem, or will this not work. Is it possible the new memory stick is bad? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hello all,

I have an Asus P4PE board that supports up to 2700 DDR, with a cmx512-2700c2 stick. I have a cmx512-3200c2 I would like to add, but when I put it in it will not boot. Most posts I have read led me to believe that this would work, so I took a chance and purchased the 3200 as it is much cheaper than 2700. I have tried installing it in different memory slots, and alone, with no success. Are there BIOS settings I need to change that will solve my problem, or will this not work. Is it possible the new memory stick is bad? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, the SPD's on your modules don't match: Mismatching SPD's will cause your boot problem. Secondly, the IC chips used on your 3200 is likely different from those on your existing 2700. As such, you cannot mix different memory modules in any modern system.

Thanks for the reply, RJ!

I am no expert, as you can tell. Would the reasons you gave also explain why the 3200 would not work at all when installed by itself? (Most posts I have seen seem to indicate that it should, is that wrong?)

Thanks again...

Archived