Corsair Community

RAM tested bad

I built a new system around 2 months ago, and everything was going great at first. I purshased 2GB's of Corsair XMS DDR400 ram. (CMX1024-3200PRO) I noticed some lag about a month ago and it got worse from there. After looking into one part after another, the one part I thought would be find, was the one that was causing it. I found this because the system would boot if I was lucky, then hang. I ran memtestx86, and it found both sticks to have errors. I tried a stick of Corsair from another system and it both tested and worked fine. I believe I need an RMA. Thanks for your help guys. :-D

Everything in BIOS is on AUTO, I've always had the default settings. Since my last post, with the stick from the other computer, I ran it for a while doing various things, and the lockups and such are back. I ran the Corsair I was going to RMA in a different system, and it seems ok for now, but things such as gaming wont be tested well without a video card in it. Maybe my BIOS settings SHOULD be changed Ram Guy? Things are getting weird now. I need help. *cries*

What settings should work better?

I've been sitting here all night trying stuff Ram Guy. Lets make this easier. Lets name the sticks, Stick A and Stick B. Stick A gets a long list of memtest errors quickly. When only running stick B, the system goes into an endless loop. It passes the POST, then right before memtest starts to come on, the system restarts. The voltage monitor in the BIOS is saying the voltage is running at 2.66, in memtest it says the frequency is 200, DDR401. Let me know what else you need.

Well Ram Guy, I think I need more help if you don't mind. I finally got my parts in, and put the RAM in a new system. It's a Pentium D 2.8, on a Intel DG101C motherboard with everything onboard. I let memtest run all night and it didnt get a single error. I put the RAM for that new comp in this one (also same model corsair) and it got the same errors. So what settings might be wrong? I really don't wanna be out of a $200 motherboard....Thanks for everything Ram Guy.

Oh, the RAM passed the test on an intel board, DG101C I beleive, with a pentium D 2.8Ghz. Didn't change any settings in BIOS. The board on the gaming machine is was in, is a DFI Lanparty NF4-SLI, all settings are default. I was gonna overclock it, but I just got it, and hadn't felt like finding the right settings to get the RAM and CPU to play nicely. But I'll save that for another time. Whats important right now is getting it to work at all. I hope its a setting, DFI's tech support is about as useful as a penium II for FEAR...

Anyways, settings for CPU and RAM:

DRAM Frequency Set: Auto

Command Per Clock: Auto

CAS Latency Control: Auto

RAS# to CAS# delay: Auto

Min RAS# active time: Auto

Row Precharge time: Auto

Row Cycle time: auto

Row refresh cyc time: Auto

Write Recovery Time: Auto

Write to read delay: Auto

Read to Write Delay: Auto

Refresh period: 3120 Cycles

Write CAS Latency: Auto

DRAM Bank Interleave: Enabled

DQS Skew Control: Auto

DQS Skew Value: 0

DRAM Drive Stength: Auto

DRAM Data Drive Stength: Auto

Max Ansync Latency: Auto

DRAM Responce Time: Normal

Read Preamble Time: Auto

IdleCycle Limit: 256 Cycles

Dynamic Counter: disable

R/W Queue Bypass: 16x

Bypass Max: 07 x

32 Byte Granularity: Disable ( 4 bursts )

FSB Frequency: 200

LDT/FSB Frequence Ratio: Auto

CPU/FSB Frequency: Auto

LDT Bus Tranfer Width: 16 16

K8 Cool'n'Quiet Support: Disable

CPU VID Control: Auto

CPU VID Special Control: Auto

LDT Voltage Control: 1.20V

Chip Set Voltage Control: 1.50V

DRAM Voltage Control: 2.60V

DRAM+.03 IF its not 3.2: Disable

lol, anything else you might somehow need? *sigh*

• Corsair Employees

Please load setup defaults and try these settings and if you still get errors then move the modules to the other 2 slots and test them again.

DRAM Frequency Set: 200MHz/DDR400

Command Per Clock: Auto

CAS Latency Control: 3

RAS# to CAS# delay: 3

Min RAS# active time: 3

Row Precharge time: 8

Row Cycle time: auto

Row refresh cyc time: Auto

Write Recovery Time: Auto

Write to read delay: Auto

Refresh period: 3120 Cycles

Write CAS Latency: Auto

DRAM Bank Interleave: Enabled

DQS Skew Control: Auto

DQS Skew Value: 0

DRAM Drive Stength: Auto

DRAM Data Drive Stength: Auto

Max Ansync Latency: Auto

DRAM Responce Time: Normal

Read Preamble Time: Auto

IdleCycle Limit: 256 Cycles

Dynamic Counter: disable

R/W Queue Bypass: 16x

Bypass Max: 07 x

32 Byte Granularity: Disable ( 4 bursts )

FSB Frequency: 200

LDT/FSB Frequence Ratio: Auto

CPU/FSB Frequency: Auto

LDT Bus Tranfer Width: 16 16

K8 Cool'n'Quiet Support: Disable

CPU VID Control: Auto

CPU VID Special Control: Auto

LDT Voltage Control: 1.20V

Chip Set Voltage Control: 1.50V

DRAM Voltage Control: 2.70V

DRAM+.03 IF its not 3.2: Disable

I tried them with the new settings in single channel, banks 1 and 2, same long list of errors almost instantly. I tried them in dual channel and I get 1 error on test 3. Yet, these modules are great on the other motherboard from Intel, and the other, slower sticks are great on here. Perhaps DFI hates Corsair? *shrug*

Also, the modules only work in banks 1 and 2, or 1 and 3 for dual channel, any other combination gives me a POST error. I also get errors when only testing a single stick at a time on the DFI board. Any more ideas?

I called DFI, they directed me to a BIOS update. I flashed it. Same problems. I called back, apparently the first idiot told me the wrong one, I flash again, now the board just sits there and does nothing, everything turns on, but nothing happens. DFI can go to hell as far as I'm concerned. They'll be getting an earful in the morning. I'll come back if they replace it, or when my Asus board comes in if I have any problems.

Archived