Corsair Community

Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 - Question about ram type

md5

Sorry for the probably dumb question, but I'm confused about the right ram type to fit for a 4Gb total capacity.

The board is the Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6

http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2295&ProductName=GA-965P-DQ6

That I will use with a Conroe E6600 Cpu

I found in a local shop the following memory:

2x1 Gb Ddr2 Corsair Pc5400, 675mhz, Cas4, Xms2

2x1 Gb Ddr2 Corsair Pc5300, 667mhz, Cas5, Value Select

The first show better features and is slightly cheaper than the second, but it's 675Mhz Vs. 667Mhz. Since I saw many review but none using 675Mhz memory I wonder if it's compatible or not.

Thanking in advance for help me!

• 5 weeks later...

Since there is a lot of trouble on memory compatibillity with an 965P, E6600 and 800MHz memory and since i am not all that experienced in manualy setting memory and cpu parameters, please advice me on the following:

At the moment I have one module of DDR2 533, because i read that this particular system would probably not function with just any PC6400 memory.

At the QVL list from Gigabyte i found the Corsair CM2X1024-6400C4 of witch the TWIN2X2048-6400C4 dual channelset is made.

Strangely i do not see this particular module on your list.

At the moment my system seems to run fine (at single channel mode)

Hopefully i get my new moduls next week, but i am a bit scared to manualy adjust parameters in the bios because i did not do this before.

Maybe You are willing to advice me on how to proceed when replacing the modules next week?

Can You give me a list of values I have to set on every parameter in the bios to make sure the combination 965P,E6600 and your 800MHz memory is gona work optimaly if you please?

Thank You.

Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 with F4d bios update.

29-08-2006 New moduls arrive today.:-)

They run without any problem at first boot.

SPD 4-4-4-12

Real Timings 5-5-5-18

2.1V Vdimm (+0.3)

Vdimm is the only thing i adjusted, the rest whas on auto.

Is there any reason to adjust timings manualy?

I set memory timings manual to 4-4-4-12

According to 3DMark05 the system was a little faster from 5950 to 6016 3D marks

According to PC wizzard 2006 the system memory performance was poor compaired to all other systems.

The system dues boot normal with this settings.

regards, PCan.

• 5 months later...

i bought a corsair brand ram for my Ga-965P-DQ6 motherboard.After i ordered i looked at the manuel of my MB and i saw it only supports 1.8V unbuffered rams.I checked corsair's official site to find it but spesifications are too complicated to me to understand.My ram is "Corsair XMS2 Pro Xtreme Performance TwinX Matched - Memory - 2 GB ( 2 x 1 GB ) - DIMM 240-pin - DDR II - 800 MHz / PC2-6400 - CL5 - 1.9 V "you can look at "http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Xtreme-Performance-TwinX-Matched/dp/B000CDHQR0/sr=1-22/qid=1170447929/ref=sr_1_22/103-2373330-1711806?ie=UTF8&s=electronics"

I do not know what the "CL" or "Cas" or anything like that.My order has not come yet but would you tell me will i have a problem with compatibility?:[pouts:

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

i learned more about rams.The official corsair web site says that TWIN2X2048-6400PRO part numbered rams are compatible with my MB.But according to my MB's manuel i only need a 1.8V rams.I know i could increase the voltage to run these modules and also for overclock reasons but if the system doesnt start at the first time i cannot enter the BIOS.If this happens i probably need a new ram to run the computer and adjust these settings.Its a frustrating situation.Because my old rams was dual channel 2X512MB 400 mhz ram that i cannot use on this MB.There is nothing to do without siting and waiting before rams have come:sigh!:

Archived