Corsair Community

Abit KN9 SLi hanging on XP setup

Bluepowell

I have a KN9 SLi Mobo and whist installing windows XP the system is freezing at ramdom points both in the none GUI setup phase and the GUI phase. I have read that my memory may be an issue (Corasir XMS2 DDR2 5400C4) but i have tested using memtest and no errors were reported. It seems to be that the memory problems are with the DDR2 6400 not the memory i have.

Can anyone help?

I've tried installing using only one stick and changed the timings till i'm blue in the face. It freezes at random points throughout the installation, from the DOS type GIU when it is coping the initial files from the disk to the HD, to freezing at the point past the enter key screen. Every time it is different.

I know for a fact that Corsair tests the Twin packs in a dual channel motherboard before they leave the facilities. It is possible that one ram is defective but not both at the same time. Try the other stick and up the voltage to 2.0v. Which version of 5400C4 are these? Look for the v*.* on the upper right hand corner. Example v1.1

I had a similar problem to this using the same RAM.

Try changing the RAM voltage to 2.1v, I got alot of stability with this setting, anything else would blue-screen during the Windows installation.

Hope this helps,

Dave

Archived