Corsair Community

Do I have cause for RMA?

Egill

I recently bought 2x512 xms 6400 memory to be installed on my Asus p5w dh deluxe mobo. I was getting some strange errors and decided to check my memory with memtest. Using Auto for all memory sections in the bios it was only error-free at pc3200 (400). Pc 4300 (533) did not work untill I had upped the vdimm to 2.0 V (Dram timings by spd, hyperpath 3 off, mch chipset voltage auto).

Then I used the conservative timings I found here; 5 5 5 15 5 and oc'ed the processor to 3.6 ghz to get access to higher ram speeds. I was able to get the memory to up to pc4800 (600) with a vdimm of 2.05 or 2.1V, but not up to pc 5700 (720) using the timings above even at 2.1V vdimm, hyperpath3 off, mch auto. Then I tested upping the mch voltage and I was finally able to get pc5700 error free in memtest with mch at 1.65V and vdimm at 2.1V, but not at 2.05V. I did try with lower mch voltage but only at 2.05 vdimm and that didn't work, so it might work at vdimm 2.1 and somewhat lower mch voltage.

Seeing the test setup used before shipping it should be able to do pc6400 at 1.9V vdimm, do I have reason to get a rma on these sticks? Or have I forgotten to adjust some parameter in the bios?

Yes it's a 805d running on one of the best Asus mobos (P5W dh deluxe) and at first I ran it at its nominal speed 2,66 ghz (533 mhz fsb) where I had the option to select between memory speed of pc3200 (400) or pc4300 (533) and selecting 533 was only stable after upping vdimm to 2.0 V (other memory settings auto).

Then I overclocked the processor to 3.6 ghz (fsb 720) where it is stable at 1.45V vcore. Now I had a whole range of memory speeds to choose between, the highest being 720 mhz (the bios tells directly what speed the memory will run at, you don't need to calculate it via dividers). To run the memory at 720 mhz I had to up the vdimm to 2.1 V and the mch chipset voltage to 1.65, lesser vdimm was not error-free in memtest. During the overclocking of the cpu I used the timings 5,5,5,15,5 and the other settings used in http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38150 except hyperpath 3 was off (not mentioned there) . Since I can run them at 720 mhz I will probably be able to run them at 800 mhz as well, but then probably only at 2.1-2-2 V vdimm with at those conservative timings together with upping the mch chipset voltage quite a bit. Seeing that you used only 1.9V and chipset voltage auto for running them at 800 mhz, I feel that mine does not perform as well as they should. Or could I be doing something wrong??

oh, it's perfectly stable right now running at 3.6 ghz and memory speed of 720 with the timings and setting I mentioned. Shouldn't fsb/ddr 1:1 be the best setting? What worries me is that I have to use max recommended voltage+upping the mch in order to achieve memory speeds that are lower than its rating. That does not leave any headroom at all if I am going to overclock the cpu to 4 ghz (fsb 800) or if I will get a Core2duo cpu. On the other hand, after getting to know about changing mch, the memory works fine at the speed I am running at right now.

BTW the mobo was tested with a core2duo cpu and corsair memory at http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2797&p=3.

This is weird!! I moved my hardware to a new box (Aerocool extreme) and replaced my IDE-drive with two Sata-drives running in raid 1 mode and all of a sudden I get no errors in memtest anymore!! At first I started lowering mch-chipset voltage gradually down to auto, while keeping vdimm at 2.1V, memory still running at 720 mhz - no errors. Then I gradually lowered vdimm and I am currently running them at 1.9V and I get no errors anymore (timings 5 5 5 15 5, mch auto, hyperpath 3 off).

Sure the new box has better airflow (intake: one 14 cm fan at the front and one 25 cm in the door), but the old box had one 8 cm in the front and one 12 cm in the door, which isn't too shabby. The cpu is watercooled.

Weird, but I'm not complaining.

No, all the other hardware is the same, I just changed box and hds, btw I also bought a new mouse (Logitech mx1000 replacing my mx700).

I have a Hiper R 580 W psu, which is considered to be very good and it has very stable lines.

I have tested the memories at 760 mhz now@1.9V without any errors, so they most probably will work fine at 800 mhz as well. Unfortunately my cpu isn't stable at 4 ghz at the vcores I've tried so far (up to 1.625V) so I cannot test the memories at 800 mhz. I am running the cpu at 3.8 ghz@1.56V and the memories at 760 mhz- everything seems to be stable. I might try for some lower timings on the ram later but for now I'm happy.

I don't understand why memtest doesn't give any errors anymore or rather why I had tons of them before, just one of life's little mysteries I guess.....

Archived