Corsair Community

Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe

GuMan

I ordered a MB bundle, which included your TWIN2X2048-6400 (5-5-5-12 2T) and an AMD Athalon 64 X2 4600+ using the Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe MB.

I can't seem to get this to run at 800MHz, and I really want to max out the ability of this setup. I have it currently set to 5-5-5-12 2T and I moved the Vdimm up to 2.1V. With these settings, it seems I can get to 667MHz and have it stable. Running at 800MHz causing issues with stability, even while in the BIOS setup page.

I know the TWIN2X2048-6400, and due to my initial newness and urgency to order, I just took what appeared to be the best DRAM choice the bundler offered.

So, how to get the Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe and the X2 4600+ up to speed? I want to run all 4 slots at 1G per slot

Would the 6400C4 or C3 be a better choice? Or do I need to go right to 8500C5 ?

Also, any recommendations on cooling? I have liquid cooling for my GPU and CPU, but the RAM coolers I purchased would not fit down over the closely spaced banking that this motherboard uses.

Thanks!

Please refer me to a resource to learn about this, or take a stab at it

yourself. I can easily handle heat load on the cpu side, as I am

liquid cooled.

I would suggest some reading here:

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/index.php

There are some really good links there, have a look in the AMD section. Also, Google a bit as there are hundreds of forums with How To's on OCing and tuning a system. Just keep in mind that your system is VERY new so, you will have to distill some of the info you get to apply it to your specific setup. However, current AMD OCing basics will still apply. First thing, make sure you have the latest bios loaded.

Mike.

I know that you have referred a few times to the fact that the X2's

will only run 667MHz, whereas the FX's run 800MHz. However, I have

seen conflicting information about this. Example from AMDZone:

http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=257&page=1

COMMON TRAITS FOR AM2 PROCESSORS:

Manufactured: Fab 30 in Dresden, Germany

Process Technology: 90-nanometer DSL SOI (silicon-on-insulator) technology

Packaging: Socket AM2 (940-pin organic micro PGA)

HyperTransport technology: Supports single HT link - up to 8.0 GB/sec per link bandwidth

Memory: DDR2 memory controller

Effective data bandwidth: Up to 12.8 GB/sec dual channel memory bandwidth

Total CPU bandwidth: Up to 20.8 GB/sec (HyperTransport + Memory bandwidth)

Memory Speed - FX and X2: DDR 2 memory up to and including PC2 6400 (DDR2-800) unbuffered

Memory Speed - A64 and Semp: DDR 2 memory up to and including PC2 5300 (DDR2-667) unbuffered

Common Features Added: AMD Virtualization technology

Chipsets: ATI, NVIDIA, SiS and VIA

Motherboard Support: Support expected from all major vendors - ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, Biostar, Shuttle, ECS, Leadtek, Abit, EPox

Availability (Partners): Expected from leading OEMs including FSC and HP, + more than 40 leading system builders and OEMs worldwide

Availability (Timing): Expected from leading OEMs and system builders worldwide in May

Please validate your statement about the max memory speeds on the AM2

packaged X2 4600+. I have not found any such restrictions in ANY of AMD's

documents.

Thanks,

GuMan

Before you go crazy and try OC'ing it, make sure the CPU is running at either the default 2.4Ghz or some other multiple of 4 (maybe 2.8? You are liquid cooled after all...). Then check the divider; it should be at 6 by default (dunno if you knew or not, but the AMD procs divide CPU clock by number X to get the RAM speed). If you're at 2.4 with a divider of 6 then the RAM will run at 400 for a DDR of 800. I had to go through this with mine, too, but it works like a charm now. :sunglasse

So in answer to your other question, yes the X2's will run RAM at 800.

Little reading for ya:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/23/amd_reinvents_itself/page9.html

Is there any good utilities to look these settings up? In my BIOS, there are so many clock settings it makes your head swim. CPU-Z shows that the CPU is running at 2.4GHz with a x12 multiplier and the HTT at 200.

Right now, all of my BIOS settings are set to AUTO and they do not display anywhere what AUTO results in.

Incidentally, CPU-Z reports my memory "Frequency" to be 300MHz and the FSB:DRAM field is showing CPU/8. So that would make it that I am running DDR2 at 600MHz? If I could identify this divider in the BIOS I would set it correctly.

There is a CPU multiplier field in the "JumperFree Configuration" which appears to be set to x12. So... if anyone knows where this divide-by-8 is set, I would love to know.

I think I'll go over to the Asus forum and ask too.

Thanks,

GuMan

I just got done receiving some replies at Asus' forum. However, it seems that for this board one just sets the DRAM frequency to 800MHz and that is it. It set's the divider that way.

However, it runs, but unstable. It seems that I can run for a little bit, but large memory apps cause reboot.

The other oddity is that cpu-z and the BIOS both seem to want to push it to 5-5-5-18 2T, where it is rated for 5-5-5-12 2T at 800MHz. I forced it to 5-5-5-12 2T. It fails either way.

Perhaps I need to return this and get something more capable of dealing with the heat load?

I am an IC test and product engineer, and I know how this stuff can be derated. I have the major heat sources liquid cooled, and there is reasonable case fan flow. The chassis sensor shows 36C. However, the DRAM is near the supply, and it does get warmer up there. Perhaps as hot at 46C.

C4 or C3 would give me thermal margin, if that is what it comes to.

Anyone know what the Tja of this module is? And, what is the temperature grade rated for? Max of 50C ambient?

So, now I have run memtest86 on each module one at a time at both BIOS settings of 800MHz and 667MHz. Timing was set to 5-5-5-15 2T and Vdimm = 2.1V for both frequency conditions.

Each module is showing many many failures on many tests at 800MHz and none at 667MHz. I tried different slots also.

Now what? I have read that many are having trouble with various modules that are C5. It seems like this board needs C4 or better to post and run at 800MHz.

So, I have PC6400 5-5-5-15 2T memory which is good at 667MHz (actually the mb divider sets this to 600MHz)

I want to run at 800MHz. I tried using the settings from Performance Report #10440 (M2N32 & TWIN2X2048-6400PRO). However, that is a C4 type product. It didn't work for me. Also, I am after overall performance, and the setup used lowered the CPU performance. I tried with the CPU divider at 10 with FSB at 235 and also at 12 with the FSB at 200 (default timing for DDR2=800MHz)

I am about to throw this stuff onto eBay and order something from Kingston.

• Corsair Employees
Please call our Tech Support at 1-800-205-7657 when you are in front of your system and we can try and help you solve the problem. Our hours are from 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM Pacific Time Monday thru Friday excluding holidays.

• 2 months later...

I got the Corsair RAM 2 GByte pack about two days ago and I installed it in my computer. I was excited to put it in as I knew it can run at 800Mhz. But when I ran Everest, a program which detects computer parts, their names and their current function/clock speed etc.., I noticed that the RAM is only running at 400Mhz of the potential 800Mhz. I currently took action visiting the system BIOS where, to my surprise, stated that the RAM was running at 800Mhz, with all the setting on 'Auto'. I have the 6400C4 2 GByte pair and was wondering what outcome might occur if I change the Memory Clock Frequency to 800Mhz from 'Auto'. Will the system become unstable like it happened to GuMan, or will it run fine as i have the 6400C4 and GuMan's was different? I need an answer to run my RAM at 800Mhz or whether it already runs at that like the BIOS states.

Thanks!

• Corsair Employees

That is normal:

DDR2 Memory runs at:

DDR2-533 = 266 Clock Frequency 2 X 266 = DDR2 533

DDR2-667 = 333 Clock Frequency 2 X 333 = DDR2 667

DDR2-800 = 400 Clock Frequency 2 X 400 = DDR2 800

DDR2-1066 = 533Clock Frequency 2 X 533 = DDR2 1066

Intel CPU:

533 MHz = 133 MHz Clock Freq. 133 X 4

800 MHz = 200 MHz Clock Freq. 200 X 4

1066 MHz = 266 MHz Clock Freq. 266 x 4

• 6 months later...
I am also looking to move on to this setup myself with the M2n32-SLi Deluxe board and the 6400c4 2gig memory. So from the last post you stated it running at 400x2 equalling out to 800? As Ch4os stated his program stated only 400...so it was just counting for one of the modules I take it?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am pretty new around with the custom timings, is there a place where I can read up for CM2X1024-5400C4 using together with this board? I not familar at all with the timings etc.

Help this n00b pls! :D:

Hi,

I am pretty new around with the custom timings, is there a place where I can read up for CM2X1024-5400C4 using together with this board? I not familar at all with the timings etc.

Help this n00b pls! :D:

Take a look at our home page. You can find info on that memory under the products tab. Also, use the lab and tech links under the Support tab.

http://www.corsairmemory.com/

Archived