Corsair Community

Random BSOD crashes & module fails windiag

My system has two CMZ512-3200C2PT's in it and crashes Windows XP SP2 with a BSOD really quite often. Both modules are installed to run in dual channel mode. I get the problem with the bios memory settings set at aggressive or normal it doesn't matter.

I ran windiag first with both modules then testing just each individually and just one of the modules fails the ERAND test with around 1-9 errors per extended pass. The 4th digit in the memory address is always one lower than expected e.g. Expected: 5d8d1535, Actual: 5d8c1535.

Bios is all at standard 400MHz FSB/RAM frequencies and settings. I'd like to get an RMA for the memory module with the error if you agree it's bad. Thanks.

• Corsair Employees

With the modules installed in slots 2-3 please load setup defaults and try these settings!

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

Memory Timings: Manual/User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

ok, so just to check.. I'm underclocking the fsb (and ram)? It's normally at standard 200Mhz with a 11x multiplier for the cpu to reach it's 2.2Ghz rated speed. I guess I'll just put the multiplier at 13x for now then which leaves the cpu slightly underclocked. I'll run it like that for a while unless you say different and try windiag again overnight. Thanks.

My CPU is an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ Barton Core. This runs at 2.2GHz with an FSB of 400Mhz and the muliplier is unlocked. Interestingly, with the underclocked setting I tried and the manual ram timings I don't seem to be getting ERAND errors with windiag anymore. I've left it running though and I'll check again once back from work. Shall I put it back to 200Mhz x11 then? Maybe it's the ram timings that made the difference...

With the CPU at 200MHz x11, the RAM at the settings you gave me and a Vcore of 1.750, my CPU overheats and turns off automatically :[pouts: Even at 1.700 it does this. My ventilation is pretty good (in theory!) so I'm hoping that this is just because the weather is so hot at the moment. About 40 °C room temperature! I've left it doing a windiag with a Vcore of 1.675 for the moment which is still above the 1.650 default that I used to have it at.

When I returned to my PC it had amassed more ERAND errors and locked up. However I just realised I never set the DIMM voltage to 2.7 as you had said. It was still at 2.6 :o: I've adjusted it and left it doing another test.... (Vcore still at 1.675 for the moment)

The modules are installed in slots 2 and 3. They are not TwinX.

CPU Freq: 200 MHz

CPU Multiplier: 11x

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Resulting Frequency: 200MHz

Memory Timings: Manual/User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

FSB Spread Spectrum: Disabled

AGP Spread Spectrum: Disabled

Vcore: 1.675V

Graphics Aperture size: 128Mb

AGP Freq: Auto

System BIOS cachable: Disabled

Video RAM cachable: Enabled

DDR ref voltage: 2.7V

AGP VDDQ voltage: 1.5V

AGP 8x Support: Enabled

AGP Fast Write: Enabled

Hope that helps.

The only way I could stop my PC from freezing/shutting down was to put my vCore back to 1.650v. This is what AMD quote for my processor anyway. I've also disabled caching video RAM on the offchance.

Anyway, I'm now able to get back to testing my RAM properly at the manual timings and 2.7 voltage as requested. I started testing the suspect module (in slot one) this morning and there were already over 500,000 errors before I left for work! I'll test the other module when I get back but I have a feeling it's only one of the two that's failing.

I'll get back to you asap.

Thanks. I think I only need the one replacing. (I'm assuming the replacement will be compatible right?) I'm actually going on holiday now for a few weeks. Will it be ok for me to leave the RMA request until I get back or do I have to action this now?

• Corsair Employees
There are more than one revision out there and they may not work together in D/C if they are not the same revision. In fact that migth be the problem you have. Did you reset the bios and test the one at a time?

• Corsair Employees

Are both modules they exact same part# and revision?

(How To Read the Memory Label)

And you may have to set the memory Voltage to a minimum of 2.75 Volts as well as set the tested settings manually. And by reset I am suggesting that you load setup defaults or clear the Bios with the jumper on the MB to clear the bios when you change modules.

ok :

Dodgy module : XMS3202v2.2, lot code 0323101

Seemingly ok module : XMS3202v4.1, lot code 0436085-1

I used to have them at 2.6 volts but now have them at 2.7 volts since you asked me to raise it and that's what I did all the recent tests at - I can't do 0.05 devisions. The next increment my mobo can do is 2.8 volts. Shall I raise to that along with the resets?

Archived