Corsair Community

Screech much?

Well, I was having some difficulty contacting the support people with help on this one so I thought I might try these handy dandy forums. My problem simply is that my RAM makes such an annoying, loud, screeching noise every now and then for a period of time. I STILL cannot find out what is wrong. It basically starting happening randomly one day, was fine for a few months and then screeched during a boot. I noticed during the few initial days of testing that if I left the computer on it wouldn't screech so I thought maybe a tempature problem was the issue. But I soon found out that wasn't the case because it began screeching during simple applications like opening AIM or Mozilla Firefox. So I thought maybe the BIOS was messed up in some way and reset it to the factory defaults to make sure that nothing was being overclocked and that did not solve my problem. I'm not too much of a overclocker or bench marking of my hardware, I did build this PC from scratch and have much experience with that, but the underlying with CAS Timers and Voltage settings I don't usually mess with. But any information anyone can give me to fix this problem would be greatly appreciate. The RAM works perfectly and I rarely if ever get a blue screen, so I hope not to send an RMA at all. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Alright, after having gotten an RMA number and am ready to ship, I've been reading a lot of the forums about Memory Timings and Voltage settings. My original timings by AUTO were 2.5-3-3-8 as I recall. But I searched about Memory Timings on here and found 2.5-3-3-6 and the Voltage of 2.75 which I am currently trying...So far the screeching has come to a hault and I do not wish to RMA if I don't have to so I'm in the process of running some application tests as when it screeched before. In response to the part number I got CMX1024 3200PRO, not sure if that's what you're looking for. Also on the UPC there's TWINX2048-3200PRO. If anyone can send me anymore information about Memory Timings or Voltage settings for anything that could possibly solve this screeching problem that would be great, as of now it's still in a test phase and I will report back tomorrow with more information. Thanks to all that have helped so far.

Any recommendations on PSU Wattage or makers? And is everything else alright with what you've heard so far? I'm totally new to the timings, overclocking, most of the buses when it comes to my own PC I've never touched them before. I'm also running in 2T not 1T...not sure of the difference.

Well just an update on the screeching problem. I checked out a few things with the MSI Utility CoreCenter which provides information on voltages, heat, clock speeds etc. I noticed that when it was screeching the FSB had moved itself up to 205MHz instead of the 200 it's usually at. So I fixed that in the BIOS and changed some voltages around and such. Running like a champ now without any problems. I do appreciate the help you guys have given me.

Lol yet another update. Came home tonight after work to that awful screeching noise. The system was idling so I have no idea what the problem is again. Going to try a new PSU when I get the money and see if that works. Thanks for the help still everyone.

The screeching isn't like a physical mechanical part, it is like a frequency type screeching and it is so annoying sometimes when it happens I just turn the computer off because I don't wish to listen to it anymore. That's why I was doing a lot of research on the latency settings and voltages and such, none of that is working though. RAM was sent back on overnight mail today. Hopefully they can find a problem if there is one, if not I am happy to start looking at other components. Reason I picked the RAM first was it seemed to be happening while they were active IE the LEDs on the RAM were flowing up and down.

Didn't want to dissuade you, just posing another possibility. Due to the odd reflections inside a case, sometimes it's hard to pin down the exact location of oddball sounds. I usually used the rolled up thin cardboard or thick paper trick as a stethescope to zero in on the location of the annoyance.

My original thought processor was it was the video card because when I first got that the fan made a weird noise while booting. Ruled that out because the fan just sped up and then slowed down. Secondly thought it might've been the processor itself because of the sounds coming from the computer were frequency related. Like if you turn off a TV in a room you can hear that noise in your ears that's exactly what it sounds like only amplified and more annoying. Finally I was looking at the computer while it was loading and the noise was happening and the RAM LEDs would be moving to full load or they would be inbetween loads. The thing I don't understand is why it's intermitten. The noise can be for hours at a time no matter what the circumstance IE temperature or usage of the computer. Or it won't be there at all.

Archived