Corsair Community

Using two Different models of DDR modules for dual channel

Analyzer

Hi I have an Intel D865GBF Mobo running in single channel mode with a CMX512-2700C2 (timings 2-3-3-6 166MHz) Module. I want to add another module for dual channel mode. Will this existing module work with a Corsair CMX512-3200C2PT in dual channel mode with current timings?

The simple answer is: Not Recommended.

You will almost certainly mix different IC chips, in this case - which will cause problems down the road.

Secondly, even if the new module works with your existing module, your memory will only work at speeds up to DDR333 (PC2700) at JEDEC-standard 2.5-3-3-7 timings. And you may or may not get dual-channel with mixed modules.

Hi thanks for the Reply..

Well this is one of my old machines .. so just wonna upgrade it to 1 GB in dual channel mode without removing the existing module. Also it's hard to find a matching module for the existing module and price is kind of high as well. Thats why i want to know if this PC3200 can work with my old PC2700 module. I don't care about the new module running in lower clock speed.

Hi thanks for the Reply..

Well this is one of my old machines .. so just wonna upgrade it to 1 GB in dual channel mode without removing the existing module. Also it's hard to find a matching module for the existing module and price is kind of high as well. Thats why i want to know if this PC3200 can work with my old PC2700 module. I don't care about the new module running in lower clock speed.

It's a crapshoot at best. The worst that can happen is that your system will not even POST at all. And even if it does post, you may find that your memory speed will drop below even PC2700 speed - down to PC2100 speed, in single-channel only.

Archived