Corsair Community

bad module

I recently bought a TWINX2048-3200C2 matched pair of 1 GB RAM modules. A few days ago, I started having some problems with my system. I used memtest86+ to test the memory. With both modules in place, memtest86+ found loads of errors. With one of the modules in place, there were still loads of errors, but with only the other module in place, no errors were found. I'm able to use my system with just that one module installed. For each test with only one module, the same DIMM socket was used to eliminate the possibility of a bad one causing the errors.

• Corsair Employees
Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

The timing settings for TWINX2048-3200C2 are 2-3-3-6 and the clock rate is200 MHz. The BIOS memory settings are set to these values. I also set the voltage to 2.7V. I have used memtest-86 to test each module in the pair separately. The first module tested with very many errors in the first pass and continued to accumulate many errors over several passes. The second module tested with zero errors over several passes in the same slot in which the first module was tested. There doesn't seem to be a problem with the motherboard. The problem seems to be with one of the modules in the pair.

Archived