Corsair Community

An easy TWINX question.

Mabec

Hi - sorry if this question has been answered 2000 times already, but i really couldnt find any good answer :( .

Iam currently using Corsair CMX512-3200C2 (1gb) with an EPOX EP-9HEAI mainboard. Running fine, but i want to add another gb of RAM.

Can my motherboard use 4 DDRs in Dual channel - can i easily add 2 more CMX512-sticks without bad results?

On the Epox site it says:

# Dual Channel Architecture

# (does not support DDR400 registered DIMMS)

Which make a noob like me confused - what do they mean by that?

Thanks for all kind of help.

PS. Everest tells me this: Field Value @ 200 MHz 3.0-3-3-8 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) Anything i might be able to improve in BIOS? .DS

• Corsair Employees
If you want to add to what you have now, you would need to match the same part# and revision of the modules you have now. However, it might be better to just replace them with one Twinx2048-3200C2 set of modules for best performance, and you can follow the link in my signature for the tested settings.

Thanks for answer.

I really dont have any idea at all what you mean by same "part #" and "revision".

Would there be problem if i try to add two more CMX512 ? Not to sure i will be able to afford a 2gb-stick to soon... :sigh!:

SHould be ok with adding 2 more of the asame model, but unless you have a Rev.E6 core CPU you are limited to 333MHZ DDR ferequency when running more than two modules. So I would personally suggest you to replace the 2 x 512MB with 2 x 1GBs or not upgrade at all.

Thanks for answer.

I really dont have any idea at all what you mean by same "part #" and "revision".

Would there be problem if i try to add two more CMX512 ? Not to sure i will be able to afford a 2gb-stick to soon... :sigh!:

Different revisions of memory are made with different ICs. ICs are the actual RAM chips attached to the memory stick. If you mix 2 different types of ICs you may get instability or a system that won't work at all. So, if you cannot get the memory suggested by RAM GUY and you decide to add more of the same memory you already have, you need to add the EXACT same memory. The information you need is on the holographic sticker on your memory.

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34307

Mike.

Thanx for all the specific answers...

confucier: Iam running a AMD64 3000+ CPU atm, how do i know if it is a "Rev.E6" or not.

Ok, this is what it said on my RAM: XMS3202v4.1

0521138-1

So that means, i need to find another couple of CMX512-rams with EXACTLY the same version and (bellow) numbers, CORRECT? :eek:

Thanks for your replys so far :)

Thanx for all the specific answers...

confucier: Iam running a AMD64 3000+ CPU atm, how do i know if it is a "Rev.E6" or not.

Ok, this is what it said on my RAM: XMS3202v4.1

0521138-1

So that means, i need to find another couple of CMX512-rams with EXACTLY the same version and (bellow) numbers, CORRECT? :eek:

Thanks for your replys so far :)

Download a program called CPU-Z. This will tell you what CPU core you have. And yes, if you intend to add more memory to your existing memory, it will need to be EXACTLY the same. XMS3202v4.1 0521138-1

Mike.

Ok, thanx. Actually, it was v 4.2 :) Whatever, sounds kinda hard to find a exactly the same ver.

CPU Z says: Rev: DH8-D0

One more question: Has there been any more ver since v. 4.2 with this RAM??

• Corsair Employees

Mabeca,

If you buy a new car some will have goodyear and some will have Goodrich tires, It's about availability when the modules go into production. The cost is about the same for the IC's no matter who make's them.

Oh, i see.. only a way to make more money, i guess... kinda rude! :mad:

That's the farthest thing from the truth. Ideally, Corsair "should" be able to buy the best IC in production at any time and also in HUGE lots to get better bulk pricing. However, high performance memory is very demanding on the ICs used. So, if company A cannot deliver what Corsair needs at the time Corsair needs it, they will buy from company B. In some cases, like with Winbond, the company totally stopped making memory ICs.

There are literally dozens of reasons for IC/PCB/memory revisions and it's not always about money. Corsair is a for profit business but, they cannot do that unless they keep the memory flowing and keep customers happy.

Another example, go take the fender off a 2001 Ford Mustang and put it on a 2007 Mustang. It's still a Ford Mustang.

Mike .

Yea, you might be right, but i dont like the pright... price. :roll:

Also, a lot of it relates back to Moore's Law if you care to Google for it. Many PC components, not just memory are EOL or obsolete within 6 months of purchase. The technology increases come at a price and it is expensive to keep up, either as a provider or a consumer.

Mike .

Archived