Corsair Community

DELL XPS 400 and XMS

DookerTT

Hey all,

Im kind of a lamen when it comes to computer hardware, at least motherboards, chipsets, all that stuff. When using the compatibility configurator, and punching in my computer..A DELL XPS400 (not the dimension just the XPS 400 at the bottom of the list) the system did not return any compatibility results for any XMS memory modules. I would really like to get some XMS memory, and I have a hard time accepting that its not possible when I have a pretty mainstream computer. I play Microsoft Flight Simulator 04 a lot, and it runs very fast once loaded once loaded, but it takes a while to load, especially with all the add ons I have, so I wanted to see If I can speed up this process with some XMS memor, which I hear is the best for gaming. The configurator came back with this chipset: Intel 945P Chipset. I have 1 GB of DDR2 ram already in there. . Is there any possibility of getting XMS memory in my computer?

So again, here is the info I know now on my comp:

1) P4 3.0 GHZ HT

2) 1GB DDR2 memory, not sure on manufacturer

3) Intel 945P Chipset

http://compatible.corsairmemory.com/mini/search_redir.aspx?type=sys&mfgid=31&modelid=55024

Dells are OEM, and won't let you set specific memory timings or voltage. XMS require higher voltage, and they're bought primarily for the timings, which you can't specify on your rig.

You can buy them, and they MAY work, but it's not recommended AT ALL. XMS aren't compatible w/ the dell memory also. System Select is though.

Wired is correct. The timings on Dell systems are permanently fixed at JEDEC-standard timings at a given memory speed: At DDR2-533, the memory will AWAYS run at 4-4-4-11 timings regardless of the memory used (and your motherboard's chipset may not support DDR2-667 memory speed at all). And the voltage is permanently fixed at 1.7V (whereas the XPS modules require at least 1.9V in order to run stably).

Archived