Corsair Community

ASUS P5ND2-SLI with corsair memory...

dragonfiregum

I have bought most of my parts for the computer im building, and im a little unsure about memory.

I know i want corsair, and this mobo says it says takes ddr2 667.. which is pc5300.

From my understanding its ok to run a higher speed memory but not a lower correct?

And getting the exact speed recommended sometimes clocks the memory slower?

So my question is will 4gb's of TWIN2X2048-6400 work alright?

And is it any harder then 667/pc5300 to install and setup? since its DDR2 800 PC2 6400?

Will i get any speed diffrence or am i wasting my money ordering it?

My other choice was CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) System Memory

and id buy 4gigs of it.

But that has no heatsink which i wanted, and i was debating about the speeds...

Also apparently to corsairs compatability list, even tho the mobo says dual channel ? that doesnt matter? i thought dual channel was faster also.

• Corsair Employee
This MB will not support 800 Mhz memory unless you over clock. I would suggest you use just one set of Twinx2048-5400C4 for best performance. If you install 4 1.0 Gig modules you will only see about 2.5 Gig of memory with this platform.

thats understandable about the memory needing to be matched for speed. ok on that.

But why would i only get 2.5gig memory on a mb said to be up to 4gb?.. im a little confused on that.

"Asus P5ND2-SLI Details Max Memory : 4 GByte

Expansion Slots : 4

Processor Socket 775

Chipset : NVIDIA nForce4 SLI Intel Edition

Vendor URL : View the Asus Website

"

Also, which online store carrys that type ? I dont see it on tigerdirect or newegg. Which usually have most of everything.

The closest on newegg is CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 675 (PC2 5400) System Memory

in the description is says twin.. but in title and stuff it doesnt say dual channel.

Im not quite sure what you mean? but i havent "booted" this computer up yet as ive been deciding on the memory. Over this month ive picked and ordered peice by peice and have pretty much what i want.

The board advertised 4gb capacity.

And from what i thought , windows xp supported 4gb.? which is why im wondering why it only show 2.5?

Is it ok to use non dual channel if im only getting 2 1gig sticks instead of 4 ?

even tho the board says "dual channel supported"(woindering incase that isnt dual channel memory...because of the newegg confusion)

Also this is my first scratch to finish pc, without buying a name brand and doing upgrades. So i know basics but not much. This is a major learning experience for me.

32-bit XP will have these issues, 64-bit XP won't (assuming you have a 64-bit CPU of course). XP does support that much memory, however 32-bit XP reserves a bunch of it for internal processes needed when you get that much, also it'll only shall out 2 GB max per app.

There is no such thing as Dual Channel memory, as this is a property of the memory controller in how it handles memory. This is why you can place memory in different slot configurations on a motherboard and it will register as single or dual channel.

thanks ill save myself 160 bucks or so and get just 2gigs then! ;)

I wish theyd hurry up on devolping 64 bit systems further and the programs for it. But i really see the computer world staying 32bit for most things for a while yet.

Also if anyones intrested this machine is going to be a

media/gaming rig.

As i record and watch tv,and store it (massive hd space :biggrin: )and edit out commercials and burn them to disks to watch anytime i want, or watch them on the pc!.

I also game online gaming ALOT.

Thanks for advice ;)

This MB will not support 800 Mhz memory unless you over clock. I would suggest you use just one set of Twinx2048-5400C4 for best performance. If you install 4 1.0 Gig modules you will only see about 2.5 Gig of memory with this platform.

hey ram guy,

don't mean to sound like a know it all butinski, but, i have one of these mobos with a pentium d 940 in it. i am running 2 gig of 2048-6400c4. i have bios 403 in the board. from the very first time the machine booted up, it recognized the ram as 800 mhz and was running at 800mhz with the cpu running at factory configurations.

i currently have the sytem overclocked to a rather sweet 3.921 ghz. it runs as smooth as silk with no hiccups.

dang asus listed 840 not 940 as compatible (didnt list 940 but had a 840 listed)

I already bought a processor but a friend is offering a

Intel Pentium D 805 Smithfield 533MHz FSB 2 x 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Dual Core,EM64T Processor

(LIKE NEW, very new) to me for 50 bucks.

I notice the CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 675 (PC2 5400) System Memory

is 675mhz, and thats 533, is that a example where i MUST overclock in order to use the memory if i choose to use that processor?

As for the other guy are you sure the 940 works? And your speaking of the correct board?

If so will the CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 675 (PC2 5400) System Memory also work in that?

I think the real question is.. what is the diffrence between

DDR2 667 PC2 5400 and DDR2 675 PC2 5400

there both pc2 5400...

Hoping for a quick answer on this one ;) and hoping its something simple lol.

Want to order tonight or tommorow and get this rig runnin.

• Corsair Employee

Smokey D.

Its Hit and miss with running 800 Mhz 1-1, but if you set the memory freq to 667 and over clock you might get a bit better performance.

dragonfiregum

Yes that would be an example, but with a 533 FSB CPU I would set the memory at 533 MHz and over clock the CPU to get best over all performance.

• Corsair Employee
Wait, when you hit the power button on the PSU does the standby LED come on thats on the MB? And are you sure you have the power switch connected properly to the MB from the front of your case? If so I would use a screwdriver and shor the pins and see if the fans come on. But if the fans will not come on that would suggest there is a short some where.

Archived