Corsair Community

Mixing single bank and double bank?

Pasch

Hello,

I used to be running 1 stick of 512 MB Corsair valueselect PC3200 RAM on this computer, and recently decided to expand this by adding another (which i thought identical) stick. I went to the computer store and asked for the same kind of stick. When I got home I installed it and it all works fine for now, with just one minor inconvenience: the DMI explorer in ASUS probe tells me that the first stick is double bank, and the stick I added is single bank. That's the only difference between the two sticks. So since I'm far from an expert on memory my question is will this lead to decreased performance as opposed to 2 double bank sticks? Also I'm wondering if it might give me any trouble in the future. And finally of course I'm wondering what exactly is the difference between single and double bank. If I knew that it could help me to see the possible problems etc. myself as well. I've tried to look up some info about this on the net and on these forums but haven't been able to find anything particularly useful yet. I'm not quite sure if the store still sells the double bank sticks as well so I'm hoping there won't be any problems. If anybody could help me with this I'd greatly appreciate it. My basic specs are as follows:

-ASUS a7v8x-x mobo, BIOS rev. 1013

-AMD Athlon XP2400+ thoroughbred

-512 MB Corsair valueselect PC3200 double bank + 512 MB Corsair valueselect PC3200 single bank

-80 GB Maxtor Diamondmax 9 IDE, 8MB cache

-300 GB Maxtor Diamondmax 10 IDE, 16MB cache

-Sapphire Radeon 9600, 256 MB

-Chieftec 360W PSU

I'm running Windows XP SP2 and am planning to make this a dualboot system with both Windows XP SP2 and either Ubuntu- or Fedora Linux soon.

If I've forgotten to mention something or if there are any mistakes or things that aren't clear please let me know. Thank you for reading.

You should really have purchased the modules as a set for best match/performance. However, as long as the system is stable I would not be concerned.

I purchased the first module some time ago and didn't have money for a second module then. Now I purchased the second module and it was supposed to be the same one but I think it's a new revision of the same module. The store I bought both modules in doesn't sell the double sided kind anymore. The main reason for my concern is that the microsoft memory diagnostic tool is reporting some errors. I haven't been able to find some errors with other programs though and I've also tried flooding my entire memory while in windows and that didn't make it crash either. So the system is stable but I'm a little worried about the errors that microsoft tool is giving me. It is a beta version though so I'm not quite sure how reliable it really is.

I would set the memory voltage to 2.7 Volts and see if that does not solve the problem, but as long as the system is stable I would not worry about it too much!

I use an a7v8x-x mobo and it doesn't allow me to change the voltage at all. But I'm starting to think maybe it was just a glitch in that program especially since it's a beta cause other than that nothing seems to hint that there's any problems at all. Thank you for the help!

Archived