Corsair Community

Bad 1G RAM 4 my laptop

hpham

I bought an Compaq Presario M2105 laptop with AMD Sempron 2800+ last July with 256MB of RAM. A few months after that I went Fry's and ask them to find me a good, affordable 1G RAM module to upgrade. They checked the laptop model and recommended the Corsair VS1GSDS333 which happened to have a $15 rebate at the time. When I installed the module, the laptop only detected the 1G so I removed the 256MB thinking that they might not be compatible. The memory module works great for about 3 months and then the laptop started to hose up. The only way to stop its beeping would be removing the battery and power. It gets to the point that the laptop would not be able to boot up to Window XP at all. I threw the 1GB into the drawer thinking "what's a waste of $150!". My son is starting high school in August so I give him the laptop but he needs more RAM. I told him to search the web to find a good one. He's just happen to find out about Corsair Lifetime warranty and told me about it. Well, I am hoping that you can help me get this 1GB module to work right or if it is indeed a bad module, I would appreciate very much that it can be replaced before school start. Thx.

• 3 weeks later...
Using the memory configurator, I was able to determine that the VS1GSDS333 module that the tech at Fry's recommended for me was a wrong module for the Compaq Presario M2105US laptop. They should have told me to buy two CMSS512MB-266SOD modules. Is there a way to credit the 1 GB module for me to buy the two 512MB directly from Corsair?

• 1 month later...

Archived