Corsair Community

Suspect Memory Module

Back in April I bought a matched pair of CMX1024-3200PT modules to drop into my main Athlon 64 X2 based machine. It was paired with a set of OCZ 512Mb modules as 1GB DDR caused one program to crash when things started getting busy (Dark Ages of Camelot)

Everything worked fine until 2nd July when the PC crashed. Rebooting just entered a constant reboot cycle where as the desktop loaded the system would reboot. Occasionally I'd get the desktop up with a Protection Error window, clearing that caused a reboot. I decided to try re-installing windows, but the install failed around 50% of the way through. Tried a 2nd (and 3rd) cd drive, and tried installing to borrowed hard drives. I then tried a 2nd install disk ( just in case ) but in every case, the re-install failed on exactly the same file.

I went into bios and disabled the quick post and was rewarded with a Memory Fail msg.

Removing the OCZ modules (as they were easier to get at), I got Memory Fail again. Swapping the CMX1024's for the OCZ's caused the memory test to pass, and windows re-installed without further problems.

I'd try and isolate which module is faulty but the PC is rather temperamental when I start poking around inside as the Power and data cables for the hard drives aren't ( and were never) very secure and a slight knock causes a System Disk Failure, plus i dont have a spare 1Gb module and the memory alarm goes off if i try to boot with only one module fitted.

Anything else I can do, or can I get the pair replaced under warranty?

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios for your MB and then load optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts and then set the timings to 3-3-3-8 (CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS) and then test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! Please allow memtest to run 2-3 passes on each module. If you still get errors, we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

As I said, refitting the modules to the main pc is a pain as its a motherboard removal job to get the cooler off the cpu, the fan for which obstructs the 1st Ram slot.

I have a P4 3GHz running on an Asus P4P800 which I can access the slots easily (and set ram speeds as you suggested.

Base Memtest info...

L1 Cache 8K 23440MB/s L2 Cache 512K 19998MB/s Memory 1023M 1745MB/s

chipset Intel i848/i865 (ECC : Disabled) - FSB 220Mhz - Pat : Disabled

Settings : Ram :220MHz ( DDR 440) / Cas: 3-3-3-8 / Singel Chanel (64 Bits)

Module 1 - Passed Memtest

Module 2 - Failed POST memory test - RAM R/W Test Failed

Memtest - By test #3 the error count was 40000 and climbing.

Failed at every address to that point.

Tried reseating the module to check, but Memtest failed every address.

Since the modules were bought as a matched pair, replacement of both would be preferencial.

Module pair is XMS3200v5.1 Lot No. 0608191-1

Thanks,

Ron

Archived