Corsair Community

Certain IC's don't work with certain mobos?

magnumpraw

I have 5 computers all with the same processor (Athlon 64 3500+ Venice) and all with the same RAM (TWINX2048-3200C2PT) 3 of the mobos are Asus A8V Deluxe, 1 is Gigabyte GAK8N-Ultra 9 and these are used as virtual instrument sample players in my music production rig.The 5th comp's mobo is an Asus A8N-SLI Premium which is my gaming rig.

I recently purchased an additional TWINX2048-3200C2PT for each of these machines to maximize my RAM sample loading. In the A8N-SLI premium, I originally had a pair of sticks which were rev 2.1. The new RAM sticks I recieved were all rev 1.2. I removed the rev 2.1 from the A8N and put in 4 rev1.2 to make sure I was totally matched. Started having problems.

Computer would give me random memory related error messages and games would randomly freeze. I thought this perhaps was cause by having 4 sticks and so I removed 2 of them so that I had just 1 set of the TWINX2048 v1.2 in.

Same problems.

I then removed the v1.2 and put the v2.1 back in. Problems solved. Are the v1.2 chips less compatible? If so, I've got 5 brand new pair that I'm up a creek with unless I can exchange them.

Thanks in advance for any help...

That could be a simple voltage issue. Can you make sure that in any machine, you have your memory voltage set to 2.8v and test the 1.2 version again. Also, make sure you have the latest bios loaded. If you have any problems with the rev 1.2 and the new bios yet the , rev 2.1 will run, you should test the rev 1.2 sticks with Memtest. Test the sticks individually for a minimum of 5-10 passes.

Mike .

Archived