Corsair Community

Asus M2N32 and TWIN2X2048-6400C4-- Pulling my hair out!

michael_saxon

I've worked all day on trying to get this system stable and I just can't seem to do it. It took forever to just get Windows XP to install. I suspect it has something to do with my memory settings because I do get different progress when I mess with them.

I've run memtest and I didn't get any errors.

Anyhow, I have these set up as 4, 4, 4, 12, 2T at 800mhz with 2.1V. I also have some bios setting for "SLI-Ready Memory," which I've tried setting at "Disabled," "Optimal," and "Performance." I have an AMD A64 X2 4200+ and I've tried to manually set the multiplier to 10 and also left it at default values.

I've tried lower memory clock frequencies of DDR2 667, 533, and 400. Nothing seems to work. I've updated my bios to the most recent posted on Asus' website.

I also have a Creative X-Fi Fatil1ty on board, but I don't suspect that it has anything to do with these problems.

The best I've done is get Windows installed, but then when I try to install other drivers (Forceware, the X-Fi drivers, etc., I either get a BSOD or a freeze).

Please help. Thanks.

I've run two passes of memtest 3.2 (which I had) without anything else hooked up and I haven't received any errors. I've just downloaded the latest version of memtest 86+ and am running it now. It looks the same as the memtest I had run earlier, though, so I don't know what differences will result, if any.

In anticipation of no errors, what are your suggestions? Are those settings I listed earlier correct? Thanks.

No memtest errors again, though I've been reading the ASUS forums and there seems to be several people who pas memtest yet still find the problem to be a mobo / memory incompatibility.

RAM GUY, please come back. I'm at a loss. Perhaps I'll try the RAM in different slots and try a single stick.

• Corsair Employees
Please state what you have adjusted in the bios. To assist users promptly, all users should include their timings, frequencies, voltages and system specs. Also include your current bios version. Thank you!!

Well, that was effectively useless. I have my system specs in the signature and I already said in my initial post what I had adjusted in the bios.

Let me say it again, I've adjusted from default to the 4, 4, 4, 12, 2T @ 800 MHZ like I've seen you suggest elsewhere. I've tried also all of the lower memory clock speeds that are available (i.e., 677, etc.). I've manually set the multiplier on the processor to both 10 and 11 and I've tried various FSBs. I've changed the "SLI-ready" setting as I indicated in my first post.

Well dunno if its your raid controler or not but get the new bios in that board asap 603 as it needs it badly.

Also my creative xf-i music card was causeing all my random crashes.

Archived