Corsair Community

Bought as pair (kit), one's bad, rebate question

See topic...I bought a Corsair ValueSelect DDR400 1 Gb (2x512) kit. I can't remember the model number off hand, but I doubt it's relevant here. After a few months, one module went bad (memtest confirms, etc.) When I went to RMA it, the form stated something approximating "please return both to ensure compatibility". Is this really necessary? I have no other memory handy, and I'm not in the mood to be without my computer for a couple weeks while the return processes.

So, what I'd like to know:

A. If I only return one stick, will they accept the return and give me a new stick of 512?

B. If so, will it work properly in dual channel with my old one?

While we're on the subject, I no longer have the original packaging for this RAM. What should I put the ram in for its trip back? Or are they nice enough to provide packaging, like some places?

Thanks in advance.

When I went to RMA it, the form stated something approximating "please return both to ensure compatibility". Is this really necessary? I have no other memory handy, and I'm not in the mood to be without my computer for a couple weeks while the return processes.
Like you quoted, YES, to ensure compatiblity.

A. If I only return one stick, will they accept the return and give me a new stick of 512?
Yes.

B. If so, will it work properly in dual channel with my old one?
They can't guarantee compatiblity w/o replacing both.

Really? That's ridiculous...they can send me two sticks of that valueselect, but not one? I find it slightly hard to believe that they don't have ram that matches my stick, but whatever...I guess that's their policy. Thanks for the confirmation.

Really? That's ridiculous...they can send me two sticks of that valueselect, but not one?
You didn't read my post.

Yes.

To rephrase it, you can send in one stick, and they'll replace one stick. Y E S. There's absolutely no way they can guarantee that the stick they give you is 100% compatible with the other stick you have, as they don't know what IC is in your stick. They don't track ICs in VS memory.

Justr a suggestion on the packaging issue, see if you can get hold of a piece of 3ply cardboard, the stuff they make industrial shipping containers and cut 2 pieces big enough to cover the 1 (or 2) stick(s). Should be as good as the plastic bubble container the chips originally came in.

Archived