Corsair Community

Asus A8N-SLI Premium + 4x CMX512 3200LL problems

Chrissicom

I have an A8N-SLI Premium by Asus equipped with 4x CMX512 3200LL memory modules (=2 GB). When I only use two modules in either the black or the blue slots my Ram is detected fine with 400 Mhz but when I put in all 4 modules I only get 333 Mhz and slow timings. Manually setting to 400 Mhz doesn't help, the system doesn't boot up then and the only way to revive my system is to clear CMOS.

I have read in another thread that this is a limitation in the AMD memory controller that's on the CPU (I have an X2 3800+), if that is true it's absolutely ridiculous and it makes me an Intel fan again. I always had Intels before this CPU and now I am going to be punished for being unloyal one single time :evil: ...if there is any way to fix this issue without buying anything new I'd be very glad!

Edit:

According to this Data Sheet http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/33425.pdf an X2 supports 4 DIMMs at 400 Mhz so it should work :-(

no, u can use 4 dimms, but yet there is no A64 that can run 1T with 4 sticks.

In BIOS (with only 2 sticks inserted): set DDR400 and 2T. Shut down PC, insert all 4 dimms and power up.

Don't look at Sandra Bandwidth benchmarks with 4 dimms ! coz running 4 sticks (2T) reduces memory bandwidth very much, but luckily A64 really doesnt need that much bandwidth - real gaming loss will be 3%...from 100fps to 97 ! or 200fps to 194fps....same phenomena when using 2 sticks that wont oc well: u use divider...memory bandwidth will be slower, but CPU MHz is what counts

1T neither works with 2 nore with 4 sticks. They are detected with 2T all the time. 4 sticks also don't work with 2T @400 Mhz, even when I set the slowest timings possible the System won't boot with 400 Mhz but instead the screen stays black and I have to clear CMOS. This is really a huge downturn in using an AMD system.

I don't really care for gaming performance, I use professional video rendering/encoding software, cinematographic software and photo software and some CAD tools. They do not only require a lot of RAM but also require fast RAM with low latency. So using 2 GB instead of 1 GB doesn't help since the AMD memory controller slows down the memory so much so all my apps work noticeably faster with only 1 GB at full speed :-( this is extremely annoying and if I can't find a fix my next system will be definitely Intel again, I had Intel for the last 10 years anyway and it was just a huge coincidence that I got an AMD once.

sorry but I'm no expert...still I feel I can post here.

Your x2 3800 IS NEW cpu..capable of 1T with 2 sticks...or 2T / DDR400 with 4 sticks....just disable them auto settings in bios..force ddr400 (1:1, 200mhz or what your bios might have alternatives, and force cmd to 2T)

if/when you get all working with 2 sticks (DDR400 and 2T) add two more.

download and run "CPU-Z" v1.33...it'll show cpu/mem info, for u to see if freq

are running OK !!!

EDIT //

Haven't done myself, but to see if ppl with x2 3800 + your mobo + 4 dimms work ok, google...http://www.google.se/search?hl=sv&q=x2+3800+4+dimms+ddr400+a8n-sli&meta=

There are two different steppings of the x2 3800+ processor - one is stepping E4, the other is stepping E6. Only the E6 stepping can run four double-sided sticks of memory at DDR400. You may have the less-desirable E4 stepping of that CPU.

sorry but I'm no expert...still I feel I can post here.

Your x2 3800 IS NEW cpu..capable of 1T with 2 sticks...or 2T / DDR400 with 4 sticks....just disable them auto settings in bios..force ddr400 (1:1, 200mhz or what your bios might have alternatives, and force cmd to 2T)

if/when you get all working with 2 sticks (DDR400 and 2T) add two more.

download and run "CPU-Z" v1.33...it'll show cpu/mem info, for u to see if freq

are running OK !!!

EDIT //

Haven't done myself, but to see if ppl with x2 3800 + your mobo + 4 dimms work ok, google...http://www.google.se/search?hl=sv&q=x2+3800+4+dimms+ddr400+a8n-sli&meta=

As I said this won't work. Also I don't agree to the 1T feature with 2 sticks. 1T always kills the system even with only 1 stick. When I turn off auto detection and choose 400 mhz it doesn't matter how slow I set the timings, the system won't boot.

@RJLeong65

Is there an easy way to find out which stepping my CPU has? (i.e. without dismounting it).

As I said this won't work. Also I don't agree to the 1T feature with 2 sticks. 1T always kills the system even with only 1 stick. When I turn off auto detection and choose 400 mhz it doesn't matter how slow I set the timings, the system won't boot.

Sorry mate, im here to solve own problems, and trying fixing others meanwhile. yours is heavy..

re: 1T always kills the system even with only 1 stick. .....

dont blame mem for this...its like mem telling "hey ! im ddr400" and mobo sets ddr333

Sorry mate, im here to solve own problems, and trying fixing others meanwhile. yours is heavy..

re: 1T always kills the system even with only 1 stick. .....

dont blame mem for this...its like mem telling "hey ! im ddr400" and mobo sets ddr333

Yeah I don't blame the memory anyway. I had the same RAM in my old Intel System with a P4 3 Ghz and MSI Neo FIS2R with i875P. The RAM worked fine @400 and also had much lower timings than the AMD board is now capable of. I really should have listened to myself when I said an integrated memory controller is total nonsense :-( stupid guy recommending an AMD to me lol, now I sit on a cool CPU with a crappy integrated mem controller.

The only thing AMD seems to be better for than Intel are Games, but I never play any anyway.

Archived