Corsair Community

voyager: bootable + linux?

knubee

I just bought a 4gb Voyager assuming that it would be as easy as any other USB stick make bootable with the filesystem format of my choice. Specifically, I want to be able to format my Voyager as a Linux drive, install a version of Linux, and have it boot. I have done this with ease with other brands of USB sticks.

I've read a number of postings about problems getting Voyager drives to be bootable (I wish I had read these posts before I bought this drive!) -- but all the tips I've seen on this topic seem to point to MS Windows and FAT solutions.

What is the trick for Voyager + bootable + ext2 filesystem ("linux")?

You will have to use a utility from the internet, ours will only work with DOS. Just do a google search for "how to" there are many utilities to use.

Thanks for the reply. But my problem is not that I need a "how to" for installing linux -- or even for formatting a USB drive so it is bootable. The problem I am having is with THIS MODEL (Voyager 4gb) of thumb drive.

So I thought there are two possibilities: there is something specific about this Voyager drive that requires a "trick" to get it to boot as Linux -- or there are some fundamental problems with this drive.

I have since tried various approaches to get mine to boot as DOS, with no success. The main problem seems to be that my computers does not recognize the drive AT ALL on boot-up -- even when the drive is formatted correctly and has a partition recognized as "active" (when I view the drive with various utilities).

Based on this -- and on the questions and comments on this forum -- it seems like there are basic problems getting the Voyager 4gb drive to be bootable AT ALL.

Does Corsaire have any utilities for determining if the specific drive is actually flawed?

Again: I have been successful getting MANY other usb thumb drives to boot (with several different operating systems) on this same pc I am using for the Voyager.

• Corsair Employees
Please call our Tech Support at 1-800-205-7657 when you are in front of your system and we can try and help you solve the problem. Our hours are from 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM Pacific Time Monday thru Friday excluding holidays.

Please call our Tech Support at 1-800-205-7657

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I am in Europe so this isn't practical for me.

Can you suggest the most reliable way to "reset" the Voyager flash drive so that it is likely to boot (or at least be recognized on startup as a bootable device)? That is, what steps would Corsair techs follow? Basically, I'm looking for something of the form: "download utility X, install thumb drive, do Y, reboot..." (it's fine if this involves dos/windows).

(There are so many questions about getting these thumb drives to boot that the answer to this probably ought to be on the FAQ.)

thanks.

• Corsair Employees

I can only help you with Dos or windows, so in other word use a Dos bootable Disk to boot the system that has F-Disk and format on it and the Flash drive has to be listed in the boot menu of the your bios or it will not be seen. And it may be listed as a Bootable HDD or a Bootable floppy depending on the specific bios you have. However, if you don’t see it listed as a bootable option in the bios there will not be any way to make it work.

If you need help with Linux you may need to contact the maker or support provider for the specific version of Linux you are using.

Archived