Corsair Community

ASUS M2N32-SLI-DLX Memory Advice?

geepee

Hi everyone i'm new to the forums and I'm looking to buy this friday and need some advice on the following setup:

AMD ATHLON 64 3800+ 2.4GHz (SOCKET-AM2).

ASUS M2N32-SLI-DLX nFORCE 590 SLI (SOCKET-AM2) PCI-EXPRESS DDR 2 MOTHERBOARD.

CORSAIR 2GB DDR2 XMS2-6400C4 TWINX (2x1GB).

Will i encounter any problems such as stability, compatibility and performance issues. I have read that ASUS recommends the memory mentioned above and heard it works well with NVIDIA SLI in EPP and has been highly recommended to use by CORSAIR.

Does anyone have the same setup or advice that they can share.

Hmmm this is some thing I should have asked too.

Well I just bought same motherboard and cpu.

Now this is where the problems start i bought 2 gig of geil ram 5400 stuff

and it would not boot in dual channel no matter what i did.

So sent it back and bought 2 one gig strips of corsair xms2 twin2x 5400 c4

and its no better still will not boot in dual channel no matter what i do.

Tried running it at 2.1 volts nothing same at 2.3 so iam getting peed off tbh.

Will run both strips in single channel but not 100% stable.

Any suggestions would be nice

• Corsair Employees
Please get the latest bios and then load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

ok only way i could get this board and memory to run dual channel was to put memory down to 533 voltages to 2.1 and memory timmings to 4 4 4 12 set trc to 15.

Since i have did this its run mem test for 7 hours without an error.

seems very stable now.

• Corsair Employees

To run DRAM at 667MHZ on a AM2 System you MUST use a 10x or 14x multiplier. Install RAm into slot 1 and 2(closest to CPU).Please adjust the following settings:

CPU Frequency: 200MHZ

CPU Multiplier: 10

DDR Frequency: 667MHZ

DDR Voltage: 2.1v

TCL: 4

TRCD: 4

TRP: 4

TRAS: 12

Command Rate: 2T

Disable Legacy USB Support and run Memtest86. Provide which test the RAM fails in if any.

Ok m8 tried that still no go tbh.

There is a new bios out 603 and it sames to have got it working.

I still used 4.4.4.12 2.1 volts.

Seems good now so ppl with trouble with this board go get the latesed bios.

well still got some problems just getting a random crash out the blue.

Seen in your post early on saying that i cant use a x12 multi.

Well that is the standard setting for a 3800+ chip 12 x 200

The chip is multi locked so i cant use a higher multi so would need to go down to a 10x to get my board stable ???

take it it would need to be like 10x 240 fsb to get my chip to run at 2400mhz.

Surely this would make my board more unstable.

well still got some problems just getting a random crash out the blue.

Seen in your post early on saying that i cant use a x12 multi.

Well that is the standard setting for a 3800+ chip 12 x 200

The chip is multi locked so i cant use a higher multi so would need to go down to a 10x to get my board stable ???

take it it would need to be like 10x 240 fsb to get my chip to run at 2400mhz.

Surely this would make my board more unstable.

I was deeply confused by this whole thread and am looking at buying the same CPU and memory, so I did a lot of research; really the only way to actually understand these processors is to read a lot of Overclocking forums and articles (even if you don't want to overclock.) I still don't pretend to understand completely what is going on.

Ramguy is technically correct, but he was unclear in what he was saying, you cannot actually run ANY memory at a specific actual speed of 667mhz at a 12 CPU multiplier for an AM2.

This doesn't mean you can't run DDR2-667 RATED memory. Just that without overclocking anything, that memory will run at 600mhz because of the very strange way there are various numbers being multiplied and divided for RAM speed (The CPU multiplier, HTT, and DDR2 Divider.)

I cannot conceive of any way that the RAM running at 600mhz instead of 667mhz would cause instability.

If the HTT (I believe this is what you're calling FSB, AMD chips do not technically have a FSB) is overclocked you can run memory at 651mhz (217 HTT) , 699mhz (233 HTT) for a 12x CPU multiplier. But there's no way you can manipulate anything to run the memory at 667mhz at a 12x multiplier.

However, with a multiplier of 12 you CAN run DDR2-800 memory at its rated speed 800mhz.

HOWEVER, technically, it seems AMD only claims that single-core AM2 processors are rated up to DDR2-667 memory, not DDR2-800.

HOWEVER, all over the net there are people running memory at 800mhz with single-core processors. Though this may technically be an "overclock" of the memory speed.

I too have read throught the many web pages.

But the simple fact remains I cant get my board and memory completly stable.

2.8 GHz 14x 7 800 MHz

2.6 GHz 13x 7 742 MHz

2.4 GHz 12x 6 800 MHz

2.2 GHz 11x 6 733 MHz

2.0 GHz 10x 5 800 MHz

So going by the chart does this mean it is running my memory out of spec at 800 MHz because my memory is only stable to 675.

This memory has been verified to operate at 675MHz at the low latencies of 4-4-4-12.

Memory suggestions from AMD

AM2 FX-62 DDR2-800 or DDR2-1066 (PC2-6400 - PC2-8500)

AM2 Dual Core X2 DDR2-667 or 800 (PC2-5300 or PC2-6400)

AM2 Athlon 64 DDR2-533 or 667 (PC2-4200 or PC2-5300)<------mine 3800+

AM2 Sempron DDR2-533 or 667 (PC2-4200 or PC2-5300)

So this memory should work with out an issue with this chip but it dont

• Corsair Employees

Please try the following settings:

CPU Frequency: 250MHZ

CPU Multiplier: 10

DDR Frequency: 533MHZ

DDR Voltage: 2.1v

TCL: 4

TRCD: 4

TRP: 4

TRAS: 12

Command Rate: 2T

HTT Frequency/multiplier: 800MHZ/4x

well i knocked my memory down to 533 and removed my creative xfi-music sound card and it has been rock solid first time since i built this pc a week ago.

I will give them settings a go ram guy think maybe I had an issue with my sound card giving me random crash.

Archived