Corsair Community

Faulty TWINX2048-3200C2 stick?

Hi there,

I bought my TWINX sticks about 5 months ago and encountered random lockups and crashes with my computer - mostly when playing games. I thought of messy drivers until i installed multiple other operating systems (like the vista beta, x64 edition of winXP, and gentoo linux) which also didn't run very stable.

So i started a memtest-check, which produced loads of errors at the same memory address (running at 2-3-3-6-1T @ 2.75V). Here's a screen.

So i took out one of the modules and switched banks on the mainboard. It turned out that only ONE of the two sticks is producing those error messages, regardless of which bank and which timings are used! This screen shows memtest at 3-3-3-8-2T (also at 2.75V) with only the one bad stick.

I also tried to raise the power to 2.80V, without success...

I already contacted my local shop, where i bought the memory, if they can/will replace them. But i just wanted to ask you pros here, if you also think that one of the two sticks is faulty and has to be replaced?

Thanks for your assistance,

visioncube

Okeeey - The guys at the local store were'nt asking much, they just replaced my two sticks with new ones... :biggrin:

I put them into my computer and ran memtest... Errors...

The two new sticks are different revision ones! My old faulty ones were v2.2 iirc, the sticker on the new ones say "XMS3202v1.2".

It seems like they are running stable at SPD settings (3-3-3-8-2T @ 2.75V) - at the recommended timings (2-3-3-6-1T @ 2.75V) the system isn't producing that much errors when running memtest, but the windows BSODes after app. 5 minutes :[pouts:

I'm getting sick of fiddling around with timings, running memtest and prime95, etc... *sigh* :sigh!:

• Corsair Employees
Please call our Tech Support at 1-800-205-7657 when you are in front of your system and we can try and help you solve the problem. Our hours are from 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM Pacific Time Monday thru Friday excluding holidays.

Well, thanks for giving me your phone number, but actually im from Austria, Europe - calling you at the US would be very, very expensive...

Are there any other ways to solve my problem with your help?

I just flashed to the newest available beta BIOS, but the system just isn't stable at 2-3-3-6-1T... :[pouts:

• Corsair Employees

The command Rate should be set to Auto or 2T and the PSU you have listed may not be enough for the config you gave, but I would suggest testing the modules in another system to be sure.

Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Thanks for your advisories - finally i have a stable system... At least prime95 (x64 edition) runs 20 hours without reporting an error. ;):

I was unable to get a stable system with 2-3-3-6, but it is stable at 2.5-3-3-6 (even with cmd rate 1T). I guess i just have to settle with CL2.5, although i bought a CL2 memory. :sigh!:

Archived