Corsair Community

MSI K9N SLI Platinum nForce 570 SLI - Major Problem

the_cultie

I have just built a new system for a friend with the following specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2GHz Socket AM2 1MB

Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2 2048MB CL5 2X1024A-6400 Dimm's

Fortron Source Epsilon 600W

MSI K9N SLI Platinum,nForce 570 SLI (MS-7250),ATX, Socket-AM2,2xGbLAN,DDR2,Firew,2xPCI-Ex16

NEC DVD±RW burner, ND-3550A, 16x, Dual, Silver OEM

Point of View GeForce 7900GT 512MB, GDDR3, PCI-Express

Sony Floppy Drive, 3,5" 1,44MB Silver Floppy Drive Internal

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM

I've set the voltage on the RAM to 1.9V, i got this from this data sheet : http://corsairmemory.com/corsair/products/specs/TWIN2X2048-6400.pdfand set the timings manually, 5-5-5-12

When i run memtest i got 166,000+ errors before 1 pass had finished.

When i run memtest with 1 stick at a time in any slot at 1.9V i get no errors.

So far I have gradualy uped the RAM vooltage to 2.05V, which reduced the number of errors to 96. Before i try 2.1V is there anything else i could do that would help, leaving RMAing to the last. Would reducing the RAM frequency from 800MHz help? Or is there something I haven't tried yet

I tried lowering the clock and i tried increasing the timing settings to 5-5-5-15. Lowering the clock increased the number of errors. I read the following on another forum:

"Most (if not all) DDR2 sticks have Intel Chipset SPD programming and fail on AM2 systems."

Is this true and if so will I have to get the sticks replaced?

• Corsair Employees

Please test the modules individually with the following settings:

Dram Frequency: 800MHZ

DDR Voltage: 2.1v

Cas Latency: 5

TRCD: 5

TRP: 5

TRAS: 12

Command Rate: 2T

If system only errors with both modules installed would direct to a either a defective cpu, defective motherboard or insufficient PSU.

I tried each stick @ 2.1V and the timings you said, no errors. When I tried both together, hey presto, I got no errors in 3 passes in Memtest. :D: Was able to install Windows and all seems stable. Just wonderin could the mobo have been under volting and is it ok to keep the RAM at 2.1V?

Thanks for all your help!! :sunglasse

• 2 weeks later...
I also have this motherboard and memory combo. With a 600watt utra psu and 7900gt pci-express video card. I am having the same exact problem but these settings still didn't work for me. I can't even get it to run stable at 667mhz. Is this motherboard and memory combo just not compatible or am I having another problem. Should I try different memory or motherboard? Thamks.

Thanks to all for advancing this thread, I've found it very useful.

I have a nearly identical setup as 'the_cultie', an MSI K9N SLI Platinum mainboard and 4 GB Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 RAM. More details follow:

Motherboard:

MSI K9N SLI Platinum

Processor:

AMD x2 4600

Memory:

4 GB Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4

Video Card # 1:

PNY GeForce 7900 GT

Hard Drive # 1:

Western Digital Raptor 10K

My trouble is that I'm unable to edit the voltage in the MSI K9N SLI Platinum BIOS. I see the 1.8v default, and the 1.8-2.5v help guide to the right, but pressing ENTER doesn't let me edit this field. Which is, well, strange.

Have any other MSI K9N SLI Platinum users found a similar problem?

Thanks!

-Kevin

Hello, again--a little update.

As I'm still unable to change the RAM voltage in the BIOS, I set it to 2.1v (as recommended above) using the CoreCenter app that comes with the MSI K9N SLI Platinum mainboard. (i.e., the BIOS still says 1.8v [i can't change that] but the Win XP x64 app CoreCenter is set for RAM to be 2.1v.)

I didn't notice any changes directly after setting the 2.1v.

The trouble is, once I rebooted, the system became very unstable (even at 400 Mhz for RAM, set in the BIOS.) The display is now filled with artifacts (random multicolored pixel noise in the BIOS screens, random black pixel noise in XP x64). I'm using the same nVidia 7900 GT card as 'CaptianH' wrote about in his post today, above, incidentally.

Worst of all, I can't reset the CoreCenter increased voltage because I can't boot XP x64, except in safe mode--which doesn't allow CoreCenter to run. Ouch.

This system was quite stable (at 400Mhz RAM set in the BIOS) before this, and able to pass Prime95 memory testing at that speed. Now, after setting the RAM voltage to 2.1v in CoreCenter, I can only get into Windows in safe mode, and the display is filled with noise pixels--even in the BIOS screens.

I have to wonder, as CaptainH did, if this combination of MSI K9N SLI Platinum mainboard, GeForce 7900 GT graphics card, and ANY PC6400 memory will ever work. A final note--I've also tried this system with 4GB of Patriot RAM, and 4GB of OC2 RAM, for comparison. In those cases, I was only able to get the system to boot into Windows x64 with a single stick of RAM, even at 400/667 MHz. So, it seems that the Corsair RAM is behaving the best, but still only at 400MHz on 800Mhz RAM.

If I do have to return the mainboard, does anyone have a system running with a AM2 socket mainboard, an X2-4600 (or similar) CPU, and 4GB of Corsair/Patriot/OC2 6400 RAM?

Thanks again,

-Kevin

So since the memory controller is on the cpu does that mean that even if I get a different motherboard this memory is still not going to work? I was thinking about returning this board for an Asus M2N-SLI DELUXE nForce 570 SLI. Am I going to have the same problem with this board? Thanks.

Thanks RAM Guy for your comments!

I did set the BIOS RAM specs to 667MHz, and it's stable so far.

(I also swapped the mainboard to a M2N32-SLI, and swapped the graphics card to 7900-GTX, which may help).

I'm not doubting you, but I am confused about the 800 Mhz limit you mentioned for x2 procs. The confusion in my mind comes from successfully running 2 GB of Corsair RAM under Win x64, at 800 Mhz. Everything fell apart when I ran with 4 GB at 800 Mhz, but 2 GB was very stable, actually.

If you have any soothing explanations, I'd love to know.

Thanks again for your reply, it's much appreciated!

-Kevin

-Kevin

• Corsair Employees

Is it an FX CPU? if so then it should run at 800 MHz if not then 667 MHz is suggested. In addition, there is more loading when you install more memory so you may have to slow the memory down with the system fully loaded.

But with 4 modules you must run at 2T Command Rate as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a bad memory module. If I have just one in it works fine. Memtest will run all day no errors. If I put the other in I can't get it to run stable at any clock speed or settings.

In regards to your comment about the X2 running at only DDR2-667, is this statement true or false?

DDR2 support (up to 667MHz all chips) / (up to 800MHz for X2 and FX)

I found this here http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=256&page=1

I am a bit confused by this because how I understand it is the processor must divide by a whole number to get close to, but not go over 400MHz, which translates to 2000/5 or 400MHz. This would be for the 3800+ X2. So shouldn't it work with DDR2-800? Or am I wrong? Thanks for your help.

im kinda confused and could do with some help especially as the place i got my new kit from doesnt seem interested in sorting it out

last week i decided to update my pc and bought a socket AM2 4600+ pus a MSI K9N Ultra motherboard along with 2gb of ram (VS2GBKIT533D2) and a GeForce 6200 TurboCache grafics card all from the same place and all from thier recomendations

i have stability issues and the pc will shut down without warnings .ive tried 3 psu's even up to 600watt which is in now but i supect after reading this thread that its a Ram compatability issue and that the ram should be running at 667mhz ? mines at 533mhz and i havnt the option to change it as far as i can see

i havnt run memtest yet as i havnt got a floppy disk handy (havnt used one in years) and i carnt burn it to cd cos it just shuts down on me if i try

have i been sold the wrong ram ? and instead of 533 should have been told to buy or recomended 667 instead ?

ive updated the bios on the motherboard to the newest version and its still as bad in fact i cant even find this board listed on your site as compatable which is kinda worrying

• 2 weeks later...
My trouble is that I'm unable to edit the voltage in the MSI K9N SLI Platinum BIOS. I see the 1.8v default, and the 1.8-2.5v help guide to the right, but pressing ENTER doesn't let me edit this field. Which is, well, strange.

Have any other MSI K9N SLI Platinum users found a similar problem?

Thanks!

-Kevin

Kevin,

You need to use the Page Up/Page Down keys to change the voltage!!! I had the exact same issue with my MSI K9N non-SLi mobo (uses the same bios). No need for 3rd party apps.

Archived