Corsair Community

Faulty TwinX modules 3200XLPT 2x512mb

Hi Ram guy,

I purchased a full systems worth of parts last year from 'SCAN computers UK' and proceeded to build it myself. Initially I bought 2x512mb 3200XLPT modules but then decided more RAM = better performance, so went and purchased another 2x512mb3200XLPT. Apart from the odd crash here and there in certain games (in particular the resource taxing 'Chronicles of Riddick') my machine seems to have run fine. In the instances when 'Riddick' crashed, a lot of activity was present on screen and it suddenly just locked up with a continuous high pitched noise in the background. This was then followed by an error message relating to memory.To be quite honest up to now I have been willing to accept it as I just thought it may be something to do with the fact of running four DIMMS on an AMD socket 939 and it's fussy memory controller. I have the most stable bios for my system which is 1009 and the timings/frequency etc are all set at default 400MHZ 2-2-2-5 (2T-when running 4DIMMS it wont POST @ 1T) So a few weeks ago I decided to download Half-life 1 source. No sooner had I gone on to the options the computer locked up, producing exactly the same symptoms as mentioned above. So I decided to remove the matched modules from the correct memory bancks on the board. Hey presto the system now works again. So to check I decided to remove the working modules and replace them with the suspected faulty ones and my system just wont POST at all. :(:

I no longer have my receipt and due to recent reviews of somebody elses thread SCAN will not take goods back without one. How do I go about returning these modules for testing please?

Thanks in advance

What slots do you have the modules in when you only have two installed?

Hi Ram-guy,

Appreciate the fast response. I don't think my signature of my system is showing, in any case here it is:

Asus-A8N SLi-Premium

Athlon 3700+ San-Diego

Gainward 7900GT 512mb GS

2 x 74Gb Raptors

Hyper 580 power supply

RAM (already stated)

Audigy 2ZS sound card

Windows XP SP2

The slots I have been using when just installing 2 x matching modules are the 'blue' ones

Thanks in advance

Lee

• Corsair Employees
Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Hi RAM Guy,

Followed your instructions above apart from the 'memtest' procedure. All voltages in the bios are correct (2.75) and the timings are set to 2-2-2-5. The memory frequency is also set to 400Mhz.

Removed my exisitng RAM modules which are working. Then using the correct DIMM slot (on this board B1) installed each of the suspected modules one at a time. The system POST's with one of the modules no problem. With the other it does not and the intermittent beep occurs again. What should I do now? I have noted down which module it is, to avoid confusion if RMA is required. In such a case would I be sending back both modules due to the fact they are TWINX 'matched module' branded?

Struggling to perform the memtest operation as for some reason Windows is not allowing the use of my floppy-drive even though it is supposedly 'working properly' under hardware profiles? Forgive me for asking this in this part of the forum, but is it possible to run the ISO file from a DVD burn instead of a CD burn?

Thanks in advance

Lee

Archived