Corsair Community

Windows XP wont install

JimPhx

I'm building a new system with an ABIT AL8 MB, Pentium D 940 dual-core CPU, Corsair VS1GBKIT667D2 RAM modules, and a 256 MB PCI EXpress X16 video card. I'm not interested in over-clocking.

The system works fine under DOS. However, the Windows XP install program abends with a BSD whenever it tries to load the Windows GUI. I'm trying to decide if the RAM or MB is faulty, or whether I have something incorrect in the BIOS. In the BIOS I'm using the values coded in the STP eeprom.

I've searched online for the hex error codes. The responses don't apply to what I'm doing (installing WinXP). I've tried each memory module individually and in each of the memory sockets with the same errors. I've used a PCI video card instead of the PCI Express and receive the same errors.

I've tested both RAM modules using MEMTEST86+. After running 5 minutes the memory testing program abends with a machine error.

Thank you for your advice.

• Corsair Employees
Any 300 Watt PSU would not be enough and depending on the system configuration and the make of the 450 Watt PSU's they might not be big enough either. And did you reset the bios and load setup defaults when you changed the PSU?

The system received the same error messages and was unable to install WinXP with any of the power supplies. I have reloaded the defaults in the BIOS numerous times during my testing, even when I hadn't made any changes. I even shorted the jumper. Still the same result.

• 2 weeks later...
This problem has been solved. I had to buy another mobo, more RAM sticks, and another CPU in order to test the components by swapping. The problem was with the Pentium D CPU!! A surprise! It was expensive but it was the only way I could test the parts. I've been building systems since the 80s and this is the first time I've encountered a bad CPU. At first the vendor refused to take it back because it was longer than 7 days, but eventually they consented. I'm waiting now for a replacement. The Corsair memory modules are fine. Thank you for your suggestions.

Archived