Corsair Community

Dell OptiPlex GX280 (Desktop)

pregier

I'm looking for a 4GB configuration for a Dell OptiPlex GX280 Desktop, and I've found that the VS1GB533D2 Value Select DIMMs are very competitively priced; however, the configuration tool on the main site doesn't show many matches for this system (only one, and it's 512MB). Dell says the maximum capacity for this system is 4GB, and sells 1GB PC2-4200 modules which appear to match the VS1GB533D2 as far as I can tell, though at a much less reasonable price.

Is it possible to say with any certainty whether four of these modules would work in the GX280?

Thanks a million...

-Phil

The professor down the hall is upgrading a desktop to run a specialized CAD program (ANSOFT HFSS) which is apparently extraordinarily memory-hungry.

If this was an AMD machine with DDR1, I'd be in my element and know which timings and chip layouts to look for, but I'm not terribly familiar with Intel chipsets and DDR2 quite yet (and to make matters worse, the only information I can find for this Dell's motherboard is that it's based on the 915G Express chipset and has 4 DDR2-400/533 slots).

Any thoughts?

Thanks...

-Phil

• Corsair Employee
It will depend on the CPU FSB, if you have an 800 FSB CPU and you don’t mix them with the memory that came with your system they should work with out problems, but if you have a 533FSB CPU I would suggest using the memory that the MB and or system builder suggests.

This is indeed an 800MHz-FSB Prescott, and the plan was to replace the current memory entirely, so that's certainly good news.

If I may ask, what would the problem have been with a 533MHz FSB? Just terrible performance?

Either way, thank you very much for your assistance...

-Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Archived