Corsair Community

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe & Corsair TWIN2X2048-5400C4

StoicM

System specs:

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Socket AM2 (Orleans)

Corsair TWIN2X2048-5400C4 (2x1GB) DDR2-667

eVGA Geforce 7300GT PCI-E 256MB

Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550

This is a new build. I can get into BIOS. Settings are on AUTO which recognizes this memory at 667MHz 5-5-5-15-2T. When I try to install Windows XP Pro, setup loads files then I receive a STOP error 0x0000000A IRQL=NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL message. I've looked at several tech forums including the ASUS website and appears there are alot of memory compatibility issues with this board/AM2 Socket/nForce 570 chipset.

This memory is listed on Corsair's website as being compatible with this board. Can anyonetell me if this memory is in fact compatible with this board? If not, what memory is recommended that is compatible?

• Corsair Employees

Yes that memory should run great with that MB.

Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XM2S5400C4 Cass 4-4-4-12 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Ramguy,

Before readng your reply above, I left all settings on the BIOS default [AUTO] but changed the speed from 667MHz to 533MHz and left one module in the board. I was able to install Windows XP, install drivers etc and everything seemed to run smoothly.

Then I changed the settings as you describe to 667MHz-4-4-4-12-2T and 2.10 volts and put the second module back in the board. However, Windows now randomly reboots. Is it possible I need to up the voltage even further for these settings?

Prior to my first post, I had the timings set as you describe, but kept the voltage at 1.90 volts, so this leads me to think that raising the voltage could stabilize the system, but I don't want to damage the modules. What's your opinion on this?

I have yet to run Memtest since I was able to install Windows. I'm running the original BIOS 0202. I see ASUS has BIOS 0304 on their support site, any thoughts if upgrading the BIOS will help with stability?

I have precisely the same MB and RAM combination - and I have had both switched, so there definately is a compatibility issue.

Ramguy:

But it should go away if I flash the bios to version 0304, set the rams to 667mhz-4-4-4-12-2T, and then the voltage on them to 2.3?

As my profile shows, I have two 1-gigabyte sticks...

Another note, the latest bios version on asus site is (indeed) 0304 for the M2N-SLI DELUXE...But for the M2N32-SLI DELUXE, the latest version is something like 0504...these two boards are not the same!

The procedure I should follow would then be:

Flash the bios with another stick of ram, plug in one corsair stick into A1, set up the correct memory timings and voltage for it, plug the other into B1, ensure that the settings don't change..good to go?

I agree with AEmer's previous post regarding the BIOS revisions for the M2N-SLI Deluxe on ASUS' site - the latest version is 0304, so perhaps they are slow in posting revisions.

In regard to my experiences, I had the timings set at 667MHz-4-4-4-12-2T@2.1 volts. The system was able to boot into Windows but was unstable. So I switched all the settings back to the BIOS default, but set the speed to 533MHz. The BIOS recognized the settings as 533MHz-5-5-5-15-2T and I'm assumming 1.9 volts. The system boots into Windows and runs stable at these settings. Ran Prime95 for 8 hours with no errors and no warnings.

Not exactly what I was hoping for with these modules, so maybe a future BIOS revision will fix the problems. ASUS is slowly posting items on their site for this board. Last week they had nothing up.

In reply to stoic:

Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XM2S5400C4 Cass 4-4-4-12

It looks to me like he says you should set the dim voltage to 2.3, since you have the gigabyte model ram sticks...

I'll try to check if setting the voltage that high breaks the warranty...!

I wasn't sure what Ramguy meant with the voltage in his first post. The voltage listed on the product listing for these sticks lists 1.9 volts. That's why I was asking about increasing the voltage from 2.1 volts in an earlier post.

Perhaps 2.3 volts makes these sticks stable at the higher settings, but I wanted some confirmation from Ramguy before setting the higher voltage and voiding my warranty.

I digged into the corsair tech reports, and for several motherboards, the 2.1voltage is used to get stability, apparently.

But I'm anxious about overvolting too, so:

Ramguy, will setting the dimm voltage to 2.3 void the varanty on these modules? Will they be able to take it?

• Corsair Employees

You need to go back and re-read what I said.

2.1 Volts is the max suggested voltage for our DDR2 memory, and some MB's list the voltage differently specificly Giga-Byte! DO NOT go over 2.1 Volts as that will void your warranty.

Sorry, I re-read it many times, and cross-checked with your other posts, and found that you often wrote (+0.2 w/giga-byte) when concerning these ram, even though the people asking questions did not have gigabyte motherboards. That is why I got confused.

But not to worry; I've set the system up with the 2.1 overvoltage after flashing the bios...within 10 hours, we'll know if the system is now stable.

Thanks for your help, Ram Guy

IRT Wired

Thanks, that explains it :-)

IRT Stoic

I'm in the middle of moving and haven't had oppertunity to test the system with memtest+ yet, but I will run the computer with it overnight. I tried a small windows program last night, though, and when I got back something like 15 hours later, the system had crashed and I was unable to determine why - windows said it had bluescreened and rebooted and recovered as a result of a bad device driver, so I don't know if it was the ram...I ran another session with the program today, this time 7 hours, this time with my ram clocked to 533mhz and volted to 1.9, and it was still running when I got back...

Make your own conclusions - I won't be making mine till I've tested them tonight. If mem-test crashes the computer when they're clocked high, and doesn't when they're not, I'll probably be forced to take these back and get me a pair of kingstons....which would suck, obviously.

IRT Ram Guy

Really?

I figured I'd be safe since I'm running a single-core processor with with 65watt max power draw, and a low-wattage HDD and only one IDE device...hmm...

Is there any way to keep tabs on the total system draw?, apart from getting new hardware, I mean...

Either way, thanks for the heads up...I'll look into it.

I've also just run almost 3 memtest+'s ... that's 1 hour and 45 minutes of operating time, no errors so far...It looks like the crash I experienced earlier might not have been caused by the ram, and was hopefully caused by the gigantic page-file the application I used made...

I let the computer run overnight with ramtest going - for nearly 11 hours straight. It managed nearly 15 passes, and no errors came about. I think it's safe to say that whatever issues I'm currently having with stability are not a result of the ram...

Stoic, I think you should go ahead and flash your bios. With your motherboard is a tool on the cd that actually allows you to flash it from windows, so if you can get it running stable, it shouldn't be a problem at all

:-)

This will be the final update I'll make concerning my purchase - it would appear that even if the ram operate appropriately while running memtest, they do not operate appropriately in a real-world environment.

The ram simply return wrong values when utilized by cpu/gpu intensive applications when clocked at the advertized settings - even when volting them to 2.1...these applications include the game Oblivion, and the program Prime95.

This is unacceptable - the ram simply are not able to perform as advertized when run within the boundaries of what is covered by the warranty.

I have isolated the problem strictly by adjusting the voltage and clock, and testing multiple times what my system instability is caused by...even more important, the ram return the wrong value even when the graphics card is not rendering anything and tested by prime95, meaning that it is not my power supply reacting poorly to the extra 0.3 volts.

While, theoretically, I could have a bad sample, that's practically impossible - I already had one pair (which I had exchanged for this pair), and that pair was tested out fine in all tests, and could not even boot for me in dual-channel - it didn't even allow me to access the bios when volted at the std. 1.8 and set at 667.

Like I said, the supplier said they were fine after committing to a thorough testing which I was lucky not to be charged for. I can only presume, since this pair is less demanding when it comes to voltage and stability(it booted me into bios in dual-channel mode), that this pair is better.

There can be only one conclusion: the Corsair XMS2 5400 1-gb pair are not compatible with the ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe when run under the advertized specifications.

This leaves me with no other option than to take these back and aquirre memory of another brand. I hope corsair will take these things into consideration and update their compatibility page accordingly.

I ran memtest+1.65 at the default BIOS (Rev 0202) at my knoen stable DRAM settings of 533MHz-5-5-5-15-2T @ BIOS [AUTO} voltage. Memtest ran with no errors. Windows runs stable. Prime95 ran for eight hours with no warnings and no errors.

I then flashed to the latest BIOS (Rev 0304) and ran memtest at the same DRAM settings of 533MHz-5-5-5-15-2T @ BIOS [AUTO] voltage. Memtest ran with no errors. Again, Windows runs stable.

I changed the DRAM settings to 667MHz-4-4-4-12-2T @ 2.1 volts. Memtest ran posting 14 errors. Windows randomly reboots. Prime95 will not run, citing a "Hardware failure detected" error.

Note that Memtest ran one pass for each test. Tests were run in dual channel mode with modules installed. Seems to me that these modules run fine at the low DRAM settings, but when they are set at the higher settings, the system becomes unstable - perhaps this is a problem with the new Socket AM2 CPUs and motherboards not playing nice with all types of DDR2 memory.

Any suggestions??

• Corsair Employees
I think it would be best to go ahead and replace the modules for you. Please go to http://corsair.com/corsair/rma_request.html and fill out the form with all the required information. In the "Ticket#/PostID#" field please enter "254351" for your authorization. If after 1 day or 24 hours, excluding weekends and holidays, you do not get the RMA please send an email to warranty@corsairmemory.com and we will help to resolve it.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I received the replacements on the 18th and everything seems to work fine. The DRAM settings are set at 667MHz-4-4-4-12-2T @ 2.10 volts (all set manually in the BIOS) and USB Legacy Support is Disabled. Both Memetest+ and Prime95 ran fine with no errors. Appears my problems are resolved.

Thanks!

Archived