Corsair Community

gigabyte and corsair

dudsy

hi all, i have a gigabyte GA-K8VT800 pro m/b running athlon 3000 64 cpu. After checking the compatibilty web page i bought 2x 512mb value select ram sticks (VS1GBKIT400) to replace the generic ones i have been currently using. Trouble is when i slot these sticks in comp wont boot and m/b sounds out 1 long beep which means there is a memory issue. i tried the memory in another system which runs a gigabyte GA-K8VM800M m/b with no problems. I have read in other posts that the problem may be in the bios and i may have to tweek the settings but these suggestions are not specific to the above combination. Can anyone steer me in the right direction???

• Corsair Employees
With just the new modules installed please try and reset the bios, you may have to ask the MB maker how to clear the bios and see if it will post, but if the modules will run in another system then I doubt its the memory!

thanx ramguy, tried your suggestion, problem is now i insert 1 mem stick(corsair)-works fine, put the second 1 in-system fails. put 2 generic mem sticks in and SOMETIMES system works but no all the time?? I have tried to boot with bios set to both fail-safe and optimised but no luck. Is there any way to check if actual memory module is u/s?? What else can i do bar replacing m/b remembering that both modules worked on my other gigabyte m/b?

hmm after some further checking tried using only one memory stick per boot for each of the dimm sockets and have discovered that it will only boot when mem is in dimm socket nearest cpu. Looks like im up for a new motherboard:mad: :mad:

only updated the bios 2 days ago. Ramguy do you think the dimm slots are actually u/s or is there some adjustment i can make to the bios? Do these slots clag out regularly? Initially the reason why i decided to change ram was that computer, for no reason at all became very unstable and crashed(unrecoverable) several times due to a corrupt or missing system32 config file. Checking out some tech msg boards it seems there is no one fix solution to this problem and it could be either software or hardware. I'm not sure if can shed any light on the problem??

• Corsair Employees
The first thing to do is test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org, if you have not done so and lets make sure one is not failing. And you should not mix memory with this MB. If they both pass one up then its likely some other problem, failing CPU or MB or maybe weak or noisy PSU.

test shows memory modules are fine, power supply is fine(near new, 500w, brand name). Definitely thinking its the MB as comp will only boot with 1 stick in dimm slot closest to cpu, move same stick to one of the other slots--no go.

Archived