Corsair Community

Possibly bad ram?

ssbob

I am not sure if I have 2 ram sticks that are bad, but here is whats been happening and I hope that you experts can assist.

The other day Windows started acting up, it would not boot into XP but Vista Beta2 was just fine, however it was slow. I tried using the recovery console on XP but it still complained about a missing config file. So in desperation I reinstalled XP over itself and bam things boot and are happy. After about an hour or so of game time I notice that things start slowing down to a crawl, the system doesn't appear to be overheating as my Intel CPU with the stock cooler is only 52C which isn't bad at all for an hour of playing World of Warcraft. So this morning after another episode where windows and whatever I am doing stop moving and essentially freeze comes a BSOD. I say ok its time to pull the memory (first BSOD since buying my twinx corsair pack) and proceded to pull the ram only to find they are HOT, not burn your skin hot but hot to the touch. This is the platinum ram with the heat spreader so I am troubled. Is my system running too hot? or is the ram bad?

Hopefully this helps figure out whats happening.

System Info:

Case Antec P180 (2x120cm fans set to medium)

OCZ Modstream 480W PS

Intel P4 506 CPU

ECS P4M800Pro-M Rev 1.0A

PNY 6800 NU AGP 128M Video Card

Please help.

Sean

Test one stick at a time in each slot using Memtest86+. What timings / voltage is your memory currently set to?

Try these settings:

CAS Latency: 2

RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3

Row Precharge (tRP): 3

Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6

Memory voltage: 2.7x or 2.8 volts

Archived