Corsair Community

Corsair 2G Flash Voyager not recognized by Oppo DV970HD DVD Player

CliffofOz

Recently bought an Oppo DV970HD DVD player. The player has a USB1.1 port to accept a flash drive to playback video (Divx), mp3 and video files.

I've successfully used the port with a Transcend USB2.0 128MB drive to play back mp3 and Divx files.

Due to the small capacity of the Transcend, I've just bought a Corsair 2G Flash Voyager flash drive, however, I have been unable to get the Oppo to recognize the drive. The Oppo tries to read the card then displays a message "No USB".

I've tried formatting the card as both FAT and FAT32. I've also tried it in a very basic form with just a single mp3 file on it. Whatever I try, the Oppo fails to see the drive.

I had though it might be a USB1.1 vs USB2.0 conflict, however, the Transcend drive is USB2.0 and has no problems - it is formatted as FAT32.

The Corsair drive works fine in my desktop PC and I've also used it with a newly purchased mp3 player in my car (it has a USB2.0 port.

Any suggestions as to what else I could try would be very welcome:)

From the reports I have seen on this forum the host device has to accept a USB hub and a USB flash drive. That is the way that the Flash Voyager is set up. Chances are the DVD player requires a direct USB Flash Drive in order to work properly.

Not sure if I'm following you on this. When you say 'this is the way the Flash Voyager is setup' do you mean this the Flash Voyager can't be directly inserted into a USB port, but has to be inserted into an hub which would be then connected to a USB port?

I wasn't aware that there were two types of connection methods, that is, 'direct' flash drives and this indirect approach used by the Flash Voyager.

I've hunted around in the forum and on the Corsair site for details on any special requirements for the Flash Voyager series, but I haven't found anything apart from the need to use FAT32 for drives which are larger than 2G.

I've had a follow up from Oppo who have confirmed they have tested it with a 1G drive, but haven't tried a 2G drive yet.

• Corsair Employee
Our flash Voayger uses an internal USB hub to make the connection for several reasons, but the device u connect it to will need to support working with a USB HUB. Some cannot go thru a hub. They must connect direct to one device.

Thanks for that explanation - the penny finally dropped:biggrin:

The odd thing here is that the mp3 player in the car (which can read the drive) specifically says "you cannot connect a USB device via a USB hub", but the DVD player makes no mention of whether a hub can be used or not.

The question for me now is, how can I identify which flash drives have an internal hub? For Corsair products, I can't find any mention of the use of internal hubs on either the package or the website.

Can I assume that all Corsair Flash Voyager drives have an internal hub?

All of our Flash drives use a hub type of interface mostly for better performance.

Thanks for that.

I've been in contact with Oppo and they have confirmed the problem with 2G Corsair Flash Voyager. The problem has been passed on to their engineers to examine.

• 8 months later...

Dear Jack Flash

I have been using a Corsair 4GB Flash voyager and had a similar problem of not being able to play the music on a DVD player. A friend of mine just bought a new Corsair Flash Voyager stick and to my surprise my DVD player could read the music on the USB.

I did some investigations and found that the newer stick does not have a USB Hub function in Windows (XP). I checked in the "Device manager" and found out that my friends USB has firmware 11.00 while mine has firmware 01.00.

Is there any way to update the firmware version on my Corsair to enable it to be read by my DVD player?

Thanks for the answer

Archived