Corsair Community

CMX1024-3200C2PRO Gone Bad?

Hello I've had these 2 modules in my PC for the last3 months with no issues. Today I come home to find my PC has blue screened, complaining of memory management issues and pfn_list_corrupt issues.

I reboot the machien and keep getting these errors, and have issues with even getting Internet Explorer to load, which causes it to crash as well.

So I give up on this PC and go to PC#2 and google up the errors and I get that its either caused by a bad driver or RAM. Not having changed any drivers since I installed the RAM I deceide to download Memtest86.

I install both of the defective modules and immediatly memtest86 goes wacky just scrolling errors down the screen. So I'm pretty sure the memory has an issue. I then remove one of the 2 modules and get no errors. I swap the other module in by itself same error problem. So I've come to the conclusion that one of my modules has gone dead.

Also on another note, I swapped in my old set of CMX512-3200C2PROs into this PC and I am now typing out this post with no issues. Also did the memtest86 in another computer to verify it wasn't an issue caused by my main PC.

I'm guessing RMAing is the correct course of action here?

Thank you for your time,

Mike

Heres the CPU settings for each of the 2 PCs I tested the machine in

PC 1

AMD Athlon XP 2500+

CPU overclocked to 11 x 200 = 2.2ghz

MOtherboard A7N8X Rev 2.0

Memory at CL 2, Active Precharge Delay 6, DRAM RAS TO Cas 3, DRAM RAS Precharge 3

no performance settings turned on.

PC 2

Intel P4 2.4C ghz stock settings (12x200)

Memory at same settings as above PC.

No performance settings turned on either.

Verified again also that it is only one of the 2 pairs that is bad, replaced bad module with the other module same slot and all errors went away, swapped them back again and memtest goes back to just scrolling errors across the screen.

Also, since these came as a pair, when RMAing them I'm guessing I return the pair of them?

Thanks for the quick responses,

Since they were bought as a pair, do you recomend I return them both? As the one does test fine, but I'm guessing its best to get a pair returned back to me, which would only be possible if I sent the pair back.

Also do you recomend marking the bad one in any way? I was thinking just writing BAD on the packaging on the side where the bad one will be.

Thanks again,

Mike

• Corsair Employees

I would try and set these settings and test the modules open at a time to be sure its not Your over clock.

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

Memory Timings: Manual/User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

Then test them with http://www.memtest.org to be sure its not something else. If they both pass at this I would test them at 9 X 200 one up at the same settings. then go from there. But if one pass and one fail then You should submit the RMA request for One Twinx set and send both modules so they match!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a MAJOR issue with my RMA.

As stated in the above messages I sent back 2 sticks of CMX1024-3200C2PRO. Well the UPS guy just delivered my RMA back to me and guess what, I was sent 2 CMX512-3200C2PRO sticks back.

I'm a little ticked off now that my computers been down for a week, and I spent $15 to ship the defective ram back to Corsair using 2-day UPS, only to have Corsair then ship me the wrong stuff back. My RMA# is R133242, if someone could contact me immediatly and fix this it would be most appreciated.

Mike

EDIT: No need to followup on this, Tina at Corsair is taking care of the problem, thanks.

Archived