Corsair Community

Nautilus 500 Install Review/Questions

M3NTAL

Hello - for my first post on the site.

First thing - packaging was great, all the parts looked great. The copper head cleaned up well with the prep liquids for Arctic Silver (cleaner/purifier)

Instructions were simple enough, probably didn't really need them except for telling me what the green and white wire monitored and possibly which hardware was needed for my particular install (S939).

Install went smooth except for one thing. The smaller part of the affixing bracket (the one with the gusset that gets screwed to the larger bracket). On the ends of the bracket the mounting tabs go off at an approx. 45 degree angle. It was prohibiting the bracket from clearing the plastic motherboard attatchment points due to the angle. The angle was causing the bracket to hit a power (Not sure if it is a cap) supply area that I have circled on the attatchment. I had to bend them (flatten) to get it to clear - then it was fine. It DOES require quite a bit of pressure to get it down there.

So here is my question - what sort of results am I supposed to be seeing? I was previously air cooled with a Zalman cnps9500. On BIOS 1205 my idle temp was 36/7c - with water I am at the same temps. The system is fully bled and I am using the same arctic silver 5 TIM applied in the same manner as with the air cooling.

Any advice?

Thanks

P.S. I don't know if the photo is going to show up, but on the "8-phase" power supply.. there are round caps and square "?" parts - it hits the square one

744_l.jpg.1d8e1012a9312e11d46b72a52ab6a4a9.jpg

Nice rig. I see that mobo in my near future with a 7950. :D:

For me, right now at idle in my basement. My case temp is 17 C, my CPU idle temp is 25 C and my Vcore is 1.575. That's an 8 deg C delta. (Rad fan on low speed)

Under a gaming load I see 39/22 C. or a 17 deg C delta. (Rad fan on low speed)

Hope that helps.

Well my room's ambient temp. is 26c with a Vcore of 1.28. And the fan speed is on high with the cpu temp @ 36c. I played about a hours worth of Battlefield 2 and came out with the Temp around 42c.

This is with the system non-oc'ed... (Stock 2.2ghz x2)

The machine has 4 x 120mm fans (2 intake 2 exhaust) and 1 top blow hole 80mm fan. I also have the factory Asus fan on the northbridge.

M3NTAL,

Here's an example of an AMD setup of a 939 system.

http://www.modthebox.com/reviews/corsair/nautilus500/nautilus32.jpg

As shown, the bracket clips on and rests against the CPU retention-frame.

In this very close-up of the CPU retention-frame and the AMD clip, you can see a bend. Is this the bend you had to straighten???

http://www.modthebox.com/reviews/corsair/nautilus500/nautilus23.jpg

If this was the bend to be straighten, then the total hold-down force pressure onto the CPU has been compromised. Your test results will be in error. :sigh!: Does the cold-block feel loose or can be moved while clamped down? If so, I would recommend adding a shim to adjust the force pressure to what is needed. You will need a shim of about 0.8~1.2mm. A 1.5mm foam pad may do the job as well. These are some thoughts to try.

It's a bummer that the Asus board has something that close to the CPU hold-down mechanism.

It looks like the AS-C thermal paste is working since the temps have dropped 1C. You may have to redo the setup with the shim and retest when the thermal grease reaches it's cure time (sometimes up to 1 week).

Keep us posted here on your progress and where your review will be posted too. This forum is a great help for many people, and many people it helps out too!

If you have any questions about the cold-block, PM me here in this forum. :sunglasse

Thank you for the images.

That is not the bend I spoke of. There is plenty of holding force and the head does not move any bit at all.

My temps seems to be the same at idle no matter how much voltage I am at with Vcore... kind of odd, but cool if it is actually true.

The bend I was talking about is like /-----\ and now they go more flat instead of / \ They latch underneath the yellow prong that sticks out in your second picture. I think it is just because my particular mobo that part of the "8-phase power supply" is a little lower than the rest in the row.

My temps seem pretty consistent and when I come off of load, the temps drop back down pretty quick.

Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure if I explained everything well enough.

Here is a picture of it complete though.

http://myspace-469.vo.llnwd.net/00857/96/48/857928469_l.jpg

Ive got my 930d (3ghz standard) up to 3.6 with out breaking the 30c with ambient being 25 here , sure you didnt get some air in the block , i found the instructions on that side of things a little vauge , i had to run mine for a hour at least with the block haning lose on the floor stretching the cables out and then moving the block to losen the air out , even then i didnt get it all out for a few days

2 things. ASUS has some issues with temp readings.

and 2, what's your room temp during those readings?

vs. the room temp during the Zalmen readings?

Both are room temp dependent ... in other words, neither can cool more than the room temp. And neither is likely to cool the CPU to within ~ 10c of room.

The best temps that I saw with the n500 is that it kept the water 4c above room temp ... and (I run with a DD TDX waterblock) the CPU is ~ 5c to 10c above water temp.

So, if I hit that +4c water and +5c to 10c waterblock and a room temp of 25c ... that would be an end temp on the CPU of 34c to 39c.

My water temp is more like 10c above room ... and CPU is at 45c load.

But the other day when it hit 30c + in the room, I was pushing 53c.

I would be more focusing on the load temperatures than worrying about the idle ones.

On a warm / hot day I get an idle of about 38C - the same as I got with an XP-90. However, the load temperature is only 41-42C. On cool days the idle is 29-31C (Operton 165, 1.35V).

From previous experiences Asus boards tend to read a bit high.

Alright - update time:laughing: When it sits around idle it will be at : 35 degrees. Running two instances of prime small fets and one instance with mixed (all three at once - the smalls on their own core and the mixed shared) it goes up to 45 degrees. So a 10 degree "delta".

When I quit out of BF2 it is usually around 42-44. It seems to be the most stressful program I have.

• 5 weeks later...

M3NTAL,

I am in the exact same position as you. I just installed my Nautilus 500 on my PC yesterday. I dont have anything over-clocked...at idle (Fan=Low) my temps are 35C, at Load (full load on BOTH cores, Prime95) my temps reach up to 46C (but quickly come down as soon as the load changes).

My room temp is 75-77F, which would be around 24.5C.

If I have the radiator fan on high, it only makes +/- 1-2C of a difference to the overall picture.

I'm trying to figure out if these are normal numbers for me or if I did something wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently checked to see what my cpu and mb temps were and was shocked to see the cpu at idle was 53C and at a decent load reached 59C (with the stock cpu cooler). My mb was at 59C as well. I installed the Nautilus 500 and my temps came down but nothing like I am reading here. My idle temp is 43C and after an hour of Halo it reaches 50C. I installed an additional 120mm fan inside the case bringing my fan totals to (2) 120mm intakes and (1) 120mm out and (1) 80mm out.

Oh yes. It is loud.

The new fan helped bring the mb temp to 45C at idle and 50C when I am gaming. Room temp is around 75F. If I remove the case side panel and run a small household fan on it the mb temp goes down to 38C. Clearly this is not a viable long term solution. I enjoy being married and I fear that union would be in great jeopardy if I left the system like that!

The Nautilus system is installed correctly with no problems although I had the same 45 degree flanges mentioned earlier in this thread. I bent them back and it worked fine on my A8N32-SLI Deluxe.

What gives? Some people here mention temps a full 10 degrees lower and I imagine thier system doesn't sound like a Hoover vacuum cleaner. Any suggestions?

My PC was relatively quiet until I installed the heater called Nvidia's 7950GX2. I have installed 3 fans now in addtion to the 500. 1 92mm on top, 1 92mm on the side exhausting air from the vid card and I just installed this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999344

from Newegg. This 120mm fan blows air into the case below the vid card for the card cool air intake. The fan comes with a variable speed knob that I fitted into a blank 5 1/4 plastic plate. It moves alot of air and is still relatively quite. Also 7 volting your 120's may help quiet things down too.

My case temp at idle is 30C and CPU is 25C. Case and CPU load temp's both get about 36C before the new 120mm. Haven't tested after 120mm.

My N500 install can be found here https://home.comcast.net/~boogie1954/Nautilus500.htm

Edit: My fan setup keep's my 5950 about 5~8 C cooler. Can't wait for the WC kit for this dam thing. :/

There is no way I could come close to the temeratures you have without putting the system in front of an A/C vent. My MB and CPU temps immediately after bootup (the system having been off for two days) is 36C. The new fan keeps the MB around 46C - 50C depending on load. THe CPU stays in the 44C - 50C range as well.

I do not understand how people can have temps at idle in the 25C range when mine STARTS 10C higher than that after not being on at all for two days.

Anyway, I thought I would attach a pic of the system to see if something jumps out at someone as to a potential cause. Fan #1 blows air over the hard drives but is pretty ineffectual for case cooling. I say that because I first had fan #2 at the front of the case with little improvement but got a 10C drop in mb temp by moving to its present location. Perhaps I move the HD's up to the top of the case in front of fan #4. Currently fan #4 always blow out cold air so I imagine there is little case cooling benefit from that one. BTW, the wood shims are temoprary!! LOL! Thanks for the feedback!

Gaming-system-pic.jpg.b15e8928fb2b0276e44165d19a2126d2.jpg

Serpent, your higher than normal MB temps are due to the 2 7900GTX's you have in your system. Granted the 7900GTX runs cooler than the 7800GTX did but 2 of them together will create a lot of heat. I will assume your video cards are at the bottom of the case. Heat rises and the heat coming off the cards is rising up right over the MB before being pulled out of the back of the case by the rear case fan. Also, that heat is getting around the cpu socket area and could contribute to a higher than normal cpu temp. As soon as you took the side cover off the case and put a fan in front of the side of your system, you had cool outside case air blowing directly over your video cards thus lowering your MB temps. Case design plays a huge part with this also as some designs are very efficient with airflow through the case requiring fewer less powerful fans to get good airflow. All of you who have sli configs or the new 7950gx2 cards are going to have this problem. The only way to keep everything resonably cool without resorting to so many fans that it sounds like a lear jet spinning up when you start it is to watercool both the cpu and video cards. I had no problems water cooling both an Athlon XP Barton cpu and 6800GT (both highly overclocked) with an old HydroCool 200EX. the newer Nautilus 500 has more than twice the cooling capacity. Wheather it would cool a cpu and two video cards, well you do the math. Personally, for a cpu and two video cards, I would use nothing less than a double 120mm rad and a large (300pgh) pump using 1/2" id tube. With the configs you guys have the only way you will have anywhere near a "quiet" system is to fully water cool the cpu, video cards and even the north bridge on the MB. Its' the only way you will be able to control the internal case temps with a minimal number of fans.

Thanks for the comments guys.

How are you watercooling BOTH a cpu and your video cards with the Hydrocool 200ex. I have seen a hydrocool and it looks like there is only an attachment for the cpu, not one for the video cards. Can I rig my Nautilus 500 to do both? Thanks!

All I did was add a gpu water block in line on the return line from the cpu. You can do the same for the Nautilus. Basically, out from Nautilus in to cpu, out of cpu to in of gpu, out of gpu back to Nautilus return port. The concern is you have a fairly hot cpu (FX-60 not only one core to cool but 2) and two hot video cards (7900GTX) all of which put out 100 watts at least each of heat. The Nautilus should be able to cool the all but do not expect stellar low temps on each. It will keep then within acceptable limits but not where you see temps now just cooling the cpu. If you really want to use the Nautilus to cool all three, I would suggest adding a second single 120mm rad and fan to the loop. If you have a big enough case with a rear 120mm fan outlet, you could mount the extra rad to the inside or outside of your case. The Nautilus' loop is res - pump - rad - outlet to cpu - inlet from cpu - res. If you add a second rad put it on the outlet side of the Nautilus before the cpu. Basically, res - pump - rad (int) - outlet to cpu - rad (ext) - cpu - vid1 - vid2 - inlet to Nautilus - res. You will notice much better temps on all three this way. It will be required to do this if you wish to overclock any or all of them. For video water cooling your twin 7900GTX's, I would recommend Danger Den's Koosah SLI gpu block kit. It cools both gpu and mem for both cards and you can get it with 3/8" fittings to match your Nautilus. Hope the sticker price shock doesn't make you faint. If that is too much for your pocket book, Swiftech has a good gpu block that comes with copper heat sinks for the mem. the only drawback to the Swiftech approch is that the tube routing would be a bit more complicated. Good luck! :biggrin:

If you add a second rad put it on the outlet side of the Nautilus before the cpu. Basically, res - pump - rad (int) - outlet to cpu - rad (ext) - cpu - vid1 - vid2 - inlet to Nautilus - res. You will notice much better temps on all three this way. :biggrin:

Thanks for the feedback. Very helpful.

Are you sure I need to add a second rad BEFORE the cpu effecitvely cooling the water twice before it cools the cpu and gpu's? Or would I run the 2nd rad after the cpu is cooled but before the video cards?

My case is pretty big and I do have a 120mm fan at the back so I believe I can accomplish the setup you suggest. Really appreciate the advice. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again! :biggrin:

Putting the 2nd rad between the cpu and video cards is an interesting idea. It would probably lower your video temps a bit (probably no more than 1-2 deg C though) but the tube routing would be a nightmare. Rule of thumb, When introducing water around electrical components simplicity is your best friend and water leaks are your worst enemy. The weakest link in any water cooling system for water leaks are the hose joints. You want to keep them to as few as possible. Mount your second rad to the outside of your case on the back where the 120mm exhaust fan for the case is. Use Swiftech's Radbox mounting kit ($20). Very slick. This way you will get nice cool outside air going through the second rad instead of warm case air. And remember to leak test the system before you fire up the electronics!!!

Here is a pic of my setup. Currently I am using a Corsair Cool kit that I upgraded to a dual 120mm rad. You can see how the rad mounts on the back of the case with the Radbox mount. The internal hose routing is a bit complicated as the Cool kit is 3/8" and my video and N/B coolers are 1/4" so I needed to use splitter/reducers to bring the 3/8" down to two 1/4" and then back to one 3/8". This allows me to use the two 1/4" blocks with the 3/8" cooling system without restricting the water flow through the water loop. On my next upgrade (hopefully in the next month :biggrin: ) I will convert the video and N/B water blocks to 3/8" which will make things neater and simpler. Remember the rule of thumb? This setup allows me to OC my cpu 400MHz over stock (could go more but I am hitting the limits of my mem an M/B) and my video (6800GT) to 425 core, 1105 mem (limit of mem). Temps even on the hottest days here in Silicon Valley this summer where 43c for cpu and 56c for the video. These are under load temps! My M/B never broke over 38c. I was also able to use quieter slower case fans (my case has two 120mm fans, one front, one rear). :biggrin:

DSC02681.thumb.JPG.52012fbb6f1f4be2bdf08dc41f6e0865.JPG

Thanks for the pic as it helps to see all of this in action. I need to pay more attention to my next case. I wish I had more space at the bottom of mine instead of the top.

I am going to order the Koosah video coolers and the black ice rad from Danger Den and set it up as you suggest. It will be a couple of weeks but once it is set up I'll report back. Thanks for all the great feedback.

Archived