Corsair Community

RAM Problem

Jaz541

The initial problem was that the machine would not boot up to windows. It would just blue screen and restart. So I checked the bios if anything had been overclocked be mistake. As it is an Asus NCCH-DL motherboard designed for server use there are no options to overclock the processors (just underclock, maybe because the multiplier is locked), however there are options to change the timings for the memory. I have been using the 2-3-3-6 timings for the past 10 months and never had a problem (http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/products/specs/twinx2048-3200c2.pdf) so I changed them back to what the motherboard detected by default 3-4-4-8 timings. No luck. I even reset the bios, still no luck. :confused: :confused: Eventually I checked if each individual RAM stick worked, it turned out that one worked perfectly (still @ 2-3-3-6) and the other caused blue screen. So I ran Memtest to confirm this and I received a bunch of errors for the stick I suspected faulty.

• 1 month later...

My previous post concluded that one of RAM modules (I’ll refer to this module as RAM1 and the other ‘good’ module as RAM2) was faulty and Memtest proved that. However, I was quite busy using the computer so I couldn’t RMA both modules back. (I have 2 computers so I’ll refer to the computer mentioned in my previous post as COMP1 and the other COMP2)

Now RAM2 has taken a turn for the worst :(: . As before with RAM1 I was able to see some information on the screen i.e. the boot details etc before I got blue screened. Now COMP1 (running only with the RAM2) just shows nothing on the monitor i.e. monitor is still in standby and makes a long bleep and pauses and then another long bleep continually. I tested this module in COMP2 and I get the same symptoms. So RAM2 has proven to be faulty with the same symptoms in both computers. The weird thing is that RAM1 mentioned in my previous post now has the same symptoms when I use it in COMP1 – I could see the boot screen and run Memtest with the module 5 weeks ago (previous post) :confused: :confused: .

I did a little testing on COMP2 and it turns out that RAM1 allows me to see the boot screen i.e. monitor comes on etc and able to run Memtest (with errors as in previous post) as before but not in COMP1. So RAM1 has proven to be faulty on both computers but with different symptoms. However, the symptoms were the same 5 weeks ago.

I’m sorry if the stuff I’ve mentioned above is not clear, but if it does make sense, what does this suggest? Faulty motherboard as well?

• Corsair Employees

First thing, I have no problem replacing both modules if you want to try that!

But yes what you have posted might suggest some other problem.

However, I would suggest we replace all of your modules and then see if you still have problems.

Hi, RAM GUY

It's now been 4 days since my last post and I still have not heard from the Corsair regarding my RAM problem. I have followed your ‘If you have submitted the RMA on line and have not got a reply!’ link and filled out the RMA request form on Friday… still no reply. Please help!!

Thanks

Archived