Corsair Community

Bad modules?

Bear with me, this is a sort of long story of problems but I think I figured out what's up...

Ok, I bought 4 DIMMs of Corsair's CMX1024-3200C2PT memory several months ago.

I just went through an issue where my system suddenly failed (I thought it was my RAID array) and reported things like missing system files for XP 32-bit, or simply would restart during the XP boot screen for XP 64-bit.

In trying to fix the problem, my motherboard bios flash fubared the bios chip. I ended up RMA'ing the motherboard and a month later I'm back in business, sort of.

So, in trying to install XP, I kept getting errors for files failing to copy after formatting the drive. At first I figured this to be a hard drive failure. So, I deleted the RAID and tried each drive separately. If I connect only the first drive, XP install won't boot up. If I switch to the second drive, setup runs and instead of a file copy failing at about 25%, it failed at about 50%.

So, I tried a new hard drive and it had the same problem at 50%. Also, it's important to note that if i told XP install to ignore the file, then I would immediately get a BSOD for IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, which as I understand it, is a sure sign that either 1), the memory is bad, 2), a driver is bad, or 3), other hardware is failing.

So, I switch back to my good, original, drive, and I removed the two second DIMMs. XP install exhibited the same problem still, file copy error at 50%. So I swap the two remaining DIMMs for the two I removed, and viola, XP install completed successfully.

Because of the events listed in the last paragraph and the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSODs during XP's file copy process after formatting the system drive, I think I have at least one or two bad DIMMs. Can you confirm, or how can I confirm this, and what do I do next?

Thanks a bunch, The Ram Guy, in advance.

Trevor

• Corsair Employees
Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure

After testing, 1 of the 2 modules was definitely bad. I had to disable USB Legacy for my motherboard (Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe) to get the test to run right. After that, I tested each module individually. 3 of the 4 worked fine, and the 4th one reported errors like crazy as soon as the test started. I then chose 2 of the 3 and tested them together in a dual channel config and everything seems to be working well.

I'm going to use the link in your sig to RMA the 4th module. Once again, thanks for the help!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived