Corsair Community

RAM won't run at rated speed!!

Mviner04

I just purchased a 2GB Kit of corsair value select DDR2-667 and I am using it in a ECS C19-a SLI mobo and the ram runs at 533. This speed is verified by cpu-z and in bios.

\

When I take one stick out it will allow me to run just one stick at 667mhz. Does this mean my motherboard won't run DDR2-667 in Dual Channel mode or is it just this ram. I noticed that this ram is not in the compatible list on the corsair site but they do list that the XMS 2GB kit in DDR-667 fashion is supported. Why would it support some ram in dual channel 667 but not others of the same brand? Can I force it to run 667 by upping the voltage or something or do I just have to pay more money(which I don't have right now) for the better ram? I would like to keep this ram and just make it run at 667. Any suggestions on how would be great.

I tried to change it in bios but everytime I do, the computer freezes on boot. I haven't changed anything in bios other than the speed to try to force it to run the rated speed. I have checked my motherboard manual and it says DDR2-667 is supported so I don't know how else to make it work. Is it the ram or should I try something else? Thanks.

What FSB speed is the cpu running at? You will not be able to run the ram faster than the CPU's FSB speed. So, if your CPU is running at 533 MHz FSB, your CPU/RAM divider would be 1:1 and your ram would be running at 533 MHz to match the CPU's FSB. I have not yet seen a M/B that allows ram to run faster that the CPU FSB speed. You would need a CPU that has a 667 MHZ FSB to run your current ram at its' rated speed or overclock the FSB on your CPU to 667 MHZ (which probably isn't possible with your CPU unless you use some very exotic cooling!).

• Corsair Employees
Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then leave the timings set to "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Thanks RAM Guy but I already got the problem fixed. Swapped out my PSU and everything started working great. I guess the old power supply just wasn't good enough. I still need to run memtest but the speed is right and haven't had any problems.

Archived