Corsair Community

Possible bad Memory TWINX2048-3200

I was playing Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion on highest settings, since my computer can handle it. I was playing for about an hour or so when all of a sudden my computer screen just went blank and the system rebooted. I tried getting back on the game and it would let me, but only for about 15 minutes or so. I had a computer guy come in to my house and say that the memory could possibly be overheating. Is this something that i could get fixed or am i going to have to go through the long and troublesome process of getting this ram sent it and replaced?:eek:

To be honest, if the guy knew what he was talking about he should have troubleshot it!

What CPU / FSB / motherboard do you have? What BIOS settings do you have set for your memory? Voltage / memory timings

you make a good point >.<

My CPU is an AMD Athlon dual core 4200+

Motherboard i'm not sure of because they had to replace my old one when it fried. They didn't give me a box or so much as an instruction booklet to go with it, jerks. So i have no idea. i'll look through my junk again and get back to you on that one. It's a fairly high end one though. And it's brand new so it shouldn't be the problem. Then again this RAM is only about 3-4 months old too:mad:

I havn't changed any of the BIOS settings for my memory, so whatever the standard is, thats what i have.

Download the free tool at http://www.belarc.com and it'll tell you what motherboard you have. It'll also be somewhere on the motherboard, albeit it may be hard to find.

Go into your BIOS and try these settings (standard for the memory):

Source: Corsair XMS Qualification and Testing Information

CAS Latency (tCL): 3

RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3

Row Precharge (tRP): 3

Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8

Memory Voltage: 2.7 or 2.8 Volts

All other settings to defaults.

Well... i changed the BIOS thing like you said, and i also tried to use the tool that you said to download, but it doesn't give me the name of my mother board. It just says no details avaliable. I would open it up and check it myself, but that would require ripping half of the other parts out as well just to be able to see it.

Archived