Corsair Community

CMX 1024-3200 - Possible Bad RAM

I purchased 2 GB of CMX 1024-3200 from Newegg.com. I am pretty sure that one of the sticks is bad, but I wanted to post here and see if anyone can think of anything I am missing before I file an RMA.

My system is:

Athlon X2 4400

DFI LanParty UT nF4 SLI-D Motherboard

320GB WD SATA HD

250GB WD IDE HD

EVGA Nvidia 7900 GT video card

Running Windows XP x64 Professional

All components in the computer are brand new except for the 250 GB HD.

Here is what happened: I put the computer together and everything was running beautifully. Then twice, the computer suddenlyt froze in the middle of the program. No BSOD, no blank screen -- the screen just froze. It happened twice previously. The third time, this morning, it happened, and I restarted the computer, and it would not start. The power came on, and I would just get a blank screen with a "No Video" notice on the monitor. I changed the CMOS jumper and then got a "CMOS Checksum Error" when I tried to reboot. After messing with the computer for about 2 hours (no matter what I did, the BIOS would not save), I started removing components to find the problem. Sure enough, I took out the second stick of RAM, and the computer booted perfectly, and all issues were solved.

To ensure it was not a motherboard issue, I tried the bad stick of RAM by itself, and I got the same result as before: the computer would power on, but would just give me a blank screen. Oddly, I did not get any beeps or anything of that sort.

I could not try Memtest, because I can't even get the computer to boot when I have the bad RAM in.

Anyone have any ideas, or know of anything that I might be missing here? Any help is appreciated.

Archived