Corsair Community

TwinX1024-4000PRO failing

Hello Mr. RAM Guy!

I have a Corsair TwinX1024-4000PRO memory since (aprox) 2 year, but In the last couple of weeks it gave me more and more "headache", couse of blue screens, system crashes, game exit to the desktop or hang ... etc.

I decided to test my system in various way to determine the rootcouse of these annoying issues.

The configuration that I have/run right now:

Motherboard: Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe (with the latest ver.1205 BIOS)

Processor: AMD Athlon64 3700+ (San Diego) @3000MHz (FSB:273 Voltage: 1,475V Multiplier: 11X)

Memory: Corsair TwinX1024-4000PRO (3-4-4-8 2T Voltage: 1,75V FSB:250)

Video Card # 1: Sapphire X1900XTX (Not overclocked)

Power Supply: Enermax ATX EG651PVE-24P (550W)

Operation system: WIN XP Pro +SP2

First step that I made:

Reverted all the overclocking setting to the factory default/normal mode.

RAM: Timings: 3-4-4-8 Command rate: Auto (2T) Voltage: 2,6V DDR Speed:400MHz (Limit to 200MHz manually in the motherboard settings) (BTW! The modules SPD programed to 250MHz 3-4-4-10 as default value, besides the datasheet on the webpage mention 3-4-4-8!)

Processor: FSB: 200MHz Multiplier: 11X (Speed: 2200MHz) Voltage: 1,425V

I still had crashes, blue screens ... etc.

Second step:

Ran Prime95 which was failed almost instantly after a few (3-4 min) min. Ran Memtest ... which was also failed around 50% of the thest sequence. Afterall I was tested the modules independently with memtest and both of the modules are failed (the test gave hundreds (!) of failures as result in both cases -> when i tested the modules together or independetly). I was tried to increase the memory voltage until: 2,8V with 0,1V steps and repeated the test after every adjustment, but got a same results. Hundreds of failures ...

Third step:

I have a different (older) Intel config (Asus P4C800E-Deluxe, P4 Northwood 3,2GHz HT) I have tested the modules (in same way as I mentioned in step two) in that config too with the factory default parameters and the result that i got was the same. Hundreds of failures ...

So it seems for me the modules are unable to run stable at PC3200 speed, not even at their nominal/advertised PC4000 speed.

Do you think is this enough proof to return the modules for warranty replacement to the reseller where I bought it?

Thx in advance:

Blue-MOD

• Corsair Employees

NO it seems you may not have some setting set properly.

The memory should always be set to DDR400/200 MHz and when you over clock it will automatically over clock the memory. I would try them one at a time and load setup defaults then set the CPU Freq. to 200 MHz and then set the memory voltage to 2.75 Volts and set the timings to Cass 3-3-3-8 and test them one up with Legacy USB disabled with http://www.memtest.org to make sure.

When I wrote FSB:250 to the overclocked configuration I meant the actual runing speed of the sticks. Its value adjusted to 186 manually in bios and becouse of the overclock and the divider its runing at 250MHz.

Other side ...

You have right! I forgot to disable the USB legacy support on both machine when I tested the modules.

But when I disabled it the issues are not gone completly. I have adjusted both of the Memory Banks Skew to Advance with 150ps. Right now both of the modules are passing the Memtest86 in single or in dual mode as well.Besdides Im still having failure in Prime95 within a couple of minutes. BTW what is the (why there is) corelation between the USB legacy support and with the Memtest86?

Hi!

Thx all of the information/help so far ...

I was tried the 3-3-3-8 2T @250MHz 2,75V setting but the system not even started to boot/post with these settings. With 3-4-4-8 2T @250MHz 2,75 the sticks was passed the Memtest multiple times. After 5 pass cycle I was terminated the test. I was tested them independently, both modules in Bank A and in Bank B slot as well. After it I swapped the modules in the banks and tested them again. Afterall i was tested them in dual mode without any failure in memtest. (So i was tested them in all the possible way of combinations. The sticks are ok!)

So I made a missjudgement becouse of the symptoms and thats why I said the modules are faulty.

The failure in Prime95 seems much more CPU related issue due to the overclocking. I was reduced the CPU FSB from 273MHz (mem runing @250MHz) to 264MHz (mem runing @242MHz) and the Prime was also run fine, besides i was wait only a few hours.

It looks like the CPU unstable (?) (in Prime) at 273MHz independetly from the Vcore. I was tried to adjust the Vcore from 1,425 to 1,6 but it didnt help. (The games and applications are ok ... no hangs/freezes but the Prime failing.)

The "funny"/surprising thing with CPU: the 264MHz running with the default 1,425 Vcore prefectly!! (No failure in memtest and no failure in Prime as well.)

Br:

Blue-MOD

• Corsair Employees
I dont think you understand, my suggestions was Cas 3-3-3-8 at 200 Mhz not over clocked. If you over clock the memory you have to set the settings to Cas 3-4-4-8. However, from what you just posted the modules are passing at Cas 3-4-4-8 at 250 Mhz so you should be good to go!

One last question:

What should I do with the Prime errors? Should I ignore it or what? If Im using the following settings:

CPU settings in BIOS: FSB: 273MHz Vcore: 1,5V = CPU Speed 3GHz

Mem settings in BIOS: FSB: 186MHz Voltage: 2,75V 3-4-4-8 2T Mem speed: 250MHz

there is no major failure occuring except the Prime.

With these settings above the Memtest passing flavlessly, the programs/games runing fine -> no crashes/blue screens so far. (One annoying thing is the temperature of the CPU .... its reaching 60 degree celsius.)

or

Should I use the FULLY STABLE settings:

CPU settings in BIOS: FSB: 264MHz Vcore: 1,425V = CPU Speed 2,9GHz

Mem settings in BIOS: FSB: 186MHz Voltage: 2,75V 3-4-4-8 2T Mem speed: 242MHz ... where no Prime failure are appearing.

Please advice.

(BTW i tested the sticks at 3-3-3-8 with 200MHz and no problem with it.)

Thx in addvance:

Blue-MOD

• Corsair Employees
Will the system pass memtest and Prime95 at 200 MHz for the memory with the CPU at 250 MHz at CAS 3-4-4-8? You may have to set the CPU VCore up a little? If so then it should be good to go. And that would suggest the Over clock you are trying to reach is just not working and I would lower the CPU Multiplier if you have an unlocked CPU.

Hi!

Afterall its no doubt about that my sticks are 100% ok. So there is no question about their reliability. The stick are working fine without ANY failure at 3-3-3-8 200MHz 2,75, or 3-4-4-8 250MHz 2,75. There is no more question about it.

Im highly appreciating all the help and the quick responses that you gave so far. Thank you!

I know this topic is no more belonging here, couse its much more overclockig related questions, but:

The thing that I dont understand: you suggested to lower the multiplier of the CPU. What is the benefits on it? The final speed of the CPU will be less if Im lowering the multiplier.

Could you explain this please?

Thx in advance:

Blue-MOD

Archived