Corsair Community

a bit worried

LordWarlock

I'm a bit worried if the TWIN2X2048-6400 is going to work in the K9N Platinum. I tried the XXXX 2GB KIT DDR2-800 GX22GB6400DC and a MDT DIMM 2 GB DDR2-800 Kit. The first RAM only ran stable as DDR2-667 and the later broke after 2 Days playing Oblivion with memtest86 showing multiple Errors. Perhaps now you understand my worries.

Someone actually tested the TWIN2X2048-6400 in combination with the MSI K9N Platinum?

Please excuse my bad english - its not my native language.

• Corsair Employees
Its a limitation of the memory controller and may vary with chipset, but yes it's a limitation in general. If you have a slower CPU please try and slow the memory down. If it passes then the memory may be running to fast for the CPU you have.

Thanks for your quick reply. I just ordered the TWIN2X2048-6400 Kit and i will try running it as DDR2-800 first and if thats not going to work 'ill run it as 667.

Could this damage the RAM or should i use the slower speed (667) only (immediatly after installing it)?

EDIT: I found this:

Q: What is DDR2 memory and what is the benefit to customers? What speeds of DDR2 will AMD support?

A: DDR2 memory is the next generation of DDR memory that supports the open standards efforts of the Joint Electronic Device Engineering Council (JEDEC), the governing body for integrated circuit specifications. It uses an advanced signaling scheme that can offer higher data transfer rates than DDR1 memory. The advanced signaling scheme mentioned above allows high transfer rates using traditional PC motherboard manufacturing techniques. DDR2 benefits to customers include lower voltage and higher frequency headroom than DDR1 memory.

Socket AM2 processors from AMD will support DDR2 speeds of 400MHz, 533MHz, 667MHz and, for AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 dual-core and AMD Athlon™ 64 FX dual-core processors, 800MHz.

Source

Hi LordWarlock / Ram Guy,

Im new to this forum and came across this post cos Im in the process of building an AM2 X2 with same mobo and ram (waiting for parts).

In regards to the comment about DDR2-800 only being supported by FX cpu, you may want to look at two links below. These indicate it comes down to whether your cpu has an odd or even clock multiplier. Gathering from your specs LordWarlock, you have a 3800+ which runs at 2000MHz (ie 10X multiplier) and therefore should achieve true 800MHz (ie 400x2)

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/347/1/

http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.aspx?page=3&articleid=822&cid=2

Anyway, Im only going by the info provided. I hope its right coz Ive got my ram but waiting for X2 4800+ to arrive :D:

Choofa

Archived