Corsair Community

Ram + memtest problems

Ok, I have been having problems lately. I built a new computer less than a month ago and it has recently started acting up. WHen playing oblivion recently, the game would frequently stall, then flash the blue screen of death and restart. The blue screen would only flash for a second, but on the bottom, it would talk about a physical memory dump. SO I decided to take the side of the case off and I was gonna pull out a dim to see if it would work with one. I also opened up the Asus probe and monitored the memory usage. The usage never got above 48% and it never crashed. I assumed the ram was overheating so I figured I would leave the side of the case open. It woeked for awhile then started crashing again. SO I got pissed and figured I would run memtest.

FIrst off I should mention, I have a P5N32 SLI deluxe motherboard and am running 2 gigs of corsair 4200 DDR2 ram, part number VS2GBKIT533D2 I believe, which I bought from newegg. After following the instructions for memtest and running it, memtest itself would crash after the first 2 or 3 minutes. The first dimm I tested, at 2 minutes and change, the timer stopped moving, then white text was displayed randomly all over the screen and it was kinda flashing. Next dimm, after about 3 minutes, the times stopped counting, and the screen went completely blue. SO I can't even run memtest to see if the ram is bad or not. SO does this mean I have a possible problem with my motherboard possibly? I allready recieved a DOA motherboard the first time, but the second one seemed to be working. SOmebody please help!!

I should also mention that the computer crashes when playing other games too, not just Oblivion. I also heard the fan on the 7900 video card sucks so I have a fan that plugs into the pci slot below the video card and blows air on it, so I am assuming it isn't the video card causing problems. Any my system usually only runs at around 100 degrees during games as well.

now I must add that the computer crashed twice in a row on system boot up. Assuming the ram is bad, will it be possible to send my ram back to newegg for a refund instead of replacement so I don't have to go without a computer for a week?

• Corsair Employees

First thing I am sorry for the delay in reply; we have some people out sick this week so we are a bit behind!

As far as a refund you would need to take that up with Newegg sorry!

But before you do I would suggest you try and load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then leave the timings to "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Archived