Corsair Community

P5N32-SLI Deluxe cannot boot with XMS2 Twin2X 1024-5400

friedrice4u

I have an Asus P5N32-SLI Deluxe board (which says it's compatible with DDR2 667MHz Corsair XMS2 ram) but when I installed the 2x512Mb modules, my system will not boot up or POST. I only get fans spinning and no video output. The only ram I was able to get this MB to boot up with is a K-Byte 1Gb PC4200 (533MHz).

I've tested the following things:

1. bought a SECOND P5N32-SLI Deluxe, and SAME problem! The first one was from Newegg and the 2nd one was from Fry's.

2. Thought it was a faulty power supply, bought a 2nd PSU and still SAME PROBLEM.

3. Tried ******** PC5400 2x1Gb modules, and still SAME PROBLEM.

4. Tried XXX PC5400 2x1Gb modules, still same problem...

What can possibly be the cause of this!?!

I've reset the BIOS on both motherboards, so far, it seems like this P5N32-SLI can only take 533MHz ram!? But the package says it's rated for 667!

Can someone PLEASE give me a few more ideas to try? I don't know what to do anymore.... I guess I have really bad luck.

Here are my specs:

CPU: Intel D 805 2.66GHz (not OC'ed yet)

MB: Asus P5N32-SLI

Memory: Corsair XMS2 (mentioned above)

PSU: Kingmax 520W

GPU: 2x eVGA 7900GT 256MB

I have an Asus P5N32-SLI Deluxe board (which says it's compatible with DDR2 667MHz Corsair XMS2 ram) but when I installed the 2x512Mb modules, my system will not boot up or POST. I only get fans spinning and no video output. The only ram I was able to get this MB to boot up with is a K-Byte 1Gb PC4200 (533MHz).

I've tested the following things:

1. bought a SECOND P5N32-SLI Deluxe, and SAME problem! The first one was from Newegg and the 2nd one was from Fry's.

2. Thought it was a faulty power supply, bought a 2nd PSU and still SAME PROBLEM.

3. Tried ******** PC5400 2x1Gb modules, and still SAME PROBLEM.

4. Tried XXX PC5400 2x1Gb modules, still same problem...

What can possibly be the cause of this!?!

I've reset the BIOS on both motherboards, so far, it seems like this P5N32-SLI can only take 533MHz ram!? But the package says it's rated for 667!

Can someone PLEASE give me a few more ideas to try? I don't know what to do anymore.... I guess I have really bad luck.

Here are my specs:

CPU: Intel D 805 2.66GHz (not OC'ed yet)

MB: Asus P5N32-SLI

Memory: Corsair XMS2 (mentioned above)

PSU: Kingmax 520W

GPU: 2x eVGA 7900GT 256MB

Like I and the RAM GUY said, you will need an 800FSB CPU (this means the higher-numbered Pentium D processors) in order to use PC2-5400 or DDR2-667 memory. Your current Pentium D 805 processor uses only a 533FSB.

In addition, your PSU may not be adequate for your current setup. You see, not all 520W PSU's are created equal; in fact, neither Kingwin nor Powmax (Kingmax never offered a PSU, as far as I know; in fact, Kingmax makes only memory modules) has been renowned for its PSU quality or performance (for all I know, that "520W" could have been a rebadged "350W" unit from someone else). In fact, good 500W units are NOT cheap (a good 500W unit costs more than $75 new); thus, if you paid very little (say, less than $50 new) for that PSU (or if it came with an inexpensive tower case), chances are that it won't pass muster for a modern system.

Like I and the RAM GUY said, you will need an 800FSB CPU (this means the higher-numbered Pentium D processors) in order to use PC2-5400 or DDR2-667 memory. Your current Pentium D 805 processor uses only a 533FSB.

In addition, your PSU may not be adequate for your current setup. You see, not all 520W PSU's are created equal; in fact, neither Kingwin nor Powmax (Kingmax never offered a PSU, as far as I know; in fact, Kingmax makes only memory modules) has been renowned for its PSU quality or performance (for all I know, that "520W" could have been a rebadged "350W" unit from someone else). In fact, good 500W units are NOT cheap (a good 500W unit costs more than $75 new); thus, if you paid very little (say, less than $50 new) for that PSU (or if it came with an inexpensive tower case), chances are that it won't pass muster for a modern system.

yes i know this CPU runs default 133MHz (133Mhz * 20 = 2.66GHz) BUT the FSB and Memory speeds should be independent right? Also, if I overclock my CPU to 166MHz * 20, shouldn't the 667MHz memory work?

For some reason, I can only get the system to post with 533MHz ram, shouldn't the better 667MHz ram at least slow down to 533MHz to let me post?

As for power supply, I just bought a 600W PSU and it still didn't work. This was a Enermax PSU supplying 22A max on the 2nd 12V rail, which should be more than enough (PSU cost $140).

If it IS the case that my board just doesn't like to run the 805 on 667ram, can I buy a set of 533 XMS2's and overclock to 667? is that within reasonable bounds?

thanks for the help!

With that CPU the memory speed supported would be 400Mhz or 533 Mhz, will the system post and let you into the bios?

the system will post ONLY if i put in 533MHz ram (i've only tested the K-Byte 1Gb from best buy, all the other rams i bought were 667MHz and none of them will POST)

why can't the 667 ram throttle down to 533 so that I can at LEAST get into the BIOS?

how feasible is it to get XMS2 533 ram and OC it to 667?

I have the same problem with 6400 modules on the board , im waiting on some 5400 to turn up now , could be a run on asus boards though as there have been a few problems with that board ive found at diferent websites as well as here

I know im on my second board , this ones on the latest bios and still wouldnt post , i think the memory tolerance is very tight at the moment , hopefully asus will fix this in a bios upgrade soon

Its not the modules doing that it's the Bios of the system!

so would you suggest that I buy DDR2 533MHz XMS2 Corsairs and overlock them to 667+? Is that possible? How much overclocking can 533MHz Corsairs handle?

My dilemma is this: I'm probably going to buy a new motherboard, but it seems like the only MB that supports x16 SLI on an Intel chip is the P5N32-SLI. Any suggestions for other boards I can try? I can't imagine a board designed for 667Mhz only works with 533Mhz if I use my D805 CPU, it doesn't say that in the specs.

Right now, I have 1 DDR2 533Mhz 1gb module + 1 DDR2 Corsair 667MHz 512mb module on my P5N32-SLI, by default the BIOS shows the RAM as 533, so I set the speed to 667MHz... so the 1gb module is being OCed from 533 to 667 while the Corsair is going at it's rated speed.... is this bad?

I have the same problem with 6400 modules on the board , im waiting on some 5400 to turn up now , could be a run on asus boards though as there have been a few problems with that board ive found at diferent websites as well as here

I know im on my second board , this ones on the latest bios and still wouldnt post , i think the memory tolerance is very tight at the moment , hopefully asus will fix this in a bios upgrade soon

so you bought multiple P5N32-SLI boards and none of them will post with PC6400 ram? should i bother to buy and test a THIRD p5n32-sli board or are odds that it won't work either with my config? what board revision do you have? i have 1.02

• Corsair Employees
So far we have not seen the problem in our lab. However, I would suggest that you make sure that you have the latest bios and test the modules one at a time to make sure one is not failing, and I would try and clear the MB bios and then you will need to set the memory Frequency at 667 MHz manually and set the memory voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the tested settings which you can get from the link in my signature.

So far we have not seen the problem in our lab. However, I would suggest that you make sure that you have the latest bios and test the modules one at a time to make sure one is not failing, and I would try and clear the MB bios and then you will need to set the memory Frequency at 667 MHz manually and set the memory voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the tested settings which you can get from the link in my signature.

i have the latest official bios release from ASUS for this MB (0310) and I've reset the BIOS several times and HAVE tried each of the four XMS2 PC5400 512MB modules in each of the 4 DDR2 slots.

so what are the chances that I've gotten TWO ASUS P5N32-SLI's running on the same Intel D 805 CPU that has the same problem with PC5400 modules? I've tested 3 sets of PC5400 modules on each of these two boards: O.C.Z. gold, P.Q.I., and now Corsair. I've found another incident in a newegg review of the Intel D 805 chip where the guy couldn't get this board to post... so is my configuration perhaps just not suitable or i really do have bad luck and bought 2 bad boards?

I got mine up finally , but it took 3 diferent ram modules before i could get it working , thats on 5400 get the beta 12 bios thats out now , it fixes alot of cpu issues and ram issues

now its running i hit 3.6 gig on my 930d with out breaking a sweat , once its working the board is brilliant , and no i was on my second board , might not have been anything wrong with the first one though

i didn't think it would do it... but yes, updating the BIOS from 0310 to the beta 0402 just saved my computer! the computer takes a little while to beep and post though (roughly 8-10s upon powerup or reboot) but it FINALLY posted! hearing that single beep was undescribably exciting after 2 weeks of not posting and having to use the crappy PC4200 ram... (kindda sad huh?)

here's my rig as of now:

Intel D 805 (2.66GHz native now OCed to 3.7GHz fan cooled)

Asus P5N32-SLI

2 Twin2X 1024 matching pair DDR2 PC5400 (4 x 512Mb modules)

Kingwin 520W PSU

eVGA 7900GT CO

2 Seagate 300Gb SATA drives in RAID1

thanks for the attention/help.

new question, what's the overclocking potential of these XMS2 PC5400 modules? I've manually set the timings to 4-4-4-12 at 667Mhz, where can this go?

WOOT!

i didn't think it would do it... but yes, updating the BIOS from 0310 to the beta 0402 just saved my computer! the computer takes a little while to beep and post though (roughly 8-10s upon powerup or reboot) but it FINALLY posted! hearing that single beep was undescribably exciting after 2 weeks of not posting and having to use the crappy PC4200 ram... (kindda sad huh?)

here's my rig as of now:

Asus P5N32-SLI

Kingwin 520W PSU

eVGA 7900GT CO

thanks for the attention/help.

new question, what's the overclocking potential of these XMS2 PC5400 modules? I've manually set the timings to 4-4-4-12 at 667Mhz, where can this go?

WOOT!

Where did you find the 0402 BIOS, all I see on the website is the 0312 Beta BIOS?

FOrums on the aus website , under mainboards then look up the p5n32-sli , there are a few posts with links , and alot of posts about issues

FOUND IT! This rocks! I finally have almost acurate temps! Also a ton more oc'ing potential here. I can't wait to get deep into it later this week!

• 2 weeks later...

here's my rig as of now:

Asus P5N32-SLI

Kingwin 520W PSU

eVGA 7900GT CO

WOOT!

Can you tell me if using 4 x 512 mb xms2 modules , do they still run in dual mode on the p5n32-sli , or do you sacrifice the dual for the extra memory .

Hi again all ,

In a follow up to my previous post , I purchased 1 gb of xms2 twinx 5400 (black heat spreader) 'off ebay' :O , to go with my other 1 gb , I put it in the PC last night , but after about 10 minuets my PC crashed, This is not a normal occurance in my machine as its very stable , I immediatley suspected the new modules i had put in, when i opened up the case on my system I noticed the black heat spreaders on the modules i had put in had fallen off on 1 of the modules and was moving on the other ( close to falling off ) , I removed it and fixed the heat spreaders back in place till they set again.

The seller on Ebay advertised these as opened but 'NEVER USED' .

My conclusion would be he had over clocked them to much, they had over heated , and he's done a bad job putting it all back together with silicone.

I will be returning the memory to the 'Ebayer' but would like to have some expert advice on what he had tried to get away with , incase of any dispute regarding my refund.

does anybody here have an opinion on what might have happened here .

your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

my pc spec:

Asus P5N32-sli Deluxe

Pentium 4, 3ghz

1 gb xms2 twinx 5400 (2x512) 'with 1 gb 5400 xms2 that makes my PC crash'

msi nx6800 GS x2 sli

250gb mator sata

• Corsair Employees
I would suggest sending them back for credit from the seller, our heat spreaders are bonded and will not just come off. Can you take a picture of the modules with out the H/S? I suspect they may have sold you counterfit modules.

I sent them back already :-| , but when they did come off , I checked the codes at the end of the sticks which matched up with mine , the 1 thing i did notice was that there seemed to be another board on mine between the heat sink and memory stick when i looked in at the pin side of the module (this is maybe what attaches the heat sink to the module ?) . I can always check to see if he puts them on ebay again , and if he does I will contact you so I can email you the details, if you wish .

Archived