Corsair Community

Asus A8n-e W/vs1gbkit400 Upgrade

litleboy

• Corsair Employee
I am sorry but it will most likely not work, and may not even post with miss-matched memory. In addition, when you install more than two double sided modules the system may need to run the memory at DDR33 at 2T Command Rate. But if you do need more than 2 Gig I would suggest getting 2 VS2GBKit400C3 sets so they all match.

(2) VS2GBKit400C3 = 4GB

or

(1) VS2GBKit400C3 + (1) VS1GBKIT400 = 3GB

I need more then 2 GB

thks

I'm sorry, but if you go with more than 2GB, you will run into the limitations of both your motherboard and (in most cases) your operating system. That's because a Socket 939 system does not support memory modules larger than 1GB apiece (due to the limitations of the CPU's memory controller), and exceeding 4 rows (ranks/banks) of memory (this means exceeding 2 double-sided sticks total) will force a 2T instead of 1T command rate and/or a speed drop from DDR400 to DDR333. And even if the CPU's memory controller and motherboard BIOS both support 2GB modules, such modules would have to be unbuffered and not registered; unfortunately, almost all 2GB modules are registered memory (2GB unbuffered modules are available, but at an astronomical price). All those drawbacks limit the maximum optimal memory amount in a performance desktop platform to 2GB total.

In addition, 32-bit versions of Microsoft Windows XP have an addressing limit limiting the amount of memory that Windows sees to less than 3GB, taking into account that Windows reserves the upper memory registers for hardware devices.

And mixing 1GB and 512MB modules in the same system is not recommended, in your case. That's because all of Corsair's 512MB and larger DDR1 modules are double-sided, so that you will end up with a system running on mixed IC chips and mixed IC densities (which will increase the risk of repeated system crashes and/or lock-ups or the refusal of your system to even POST at all). The only way that 1GB modules would work together with 512MB modules is if the 512MB modules are single-sided (all else being equal); unfortunately, Corsair does not currently make any single-sided 512MB DDR1 modules.

the reason that I need more than 2GB its because I'm rendering a big scene in 3dMAX Right know I have 2GB 4x512. and cant render the scene because it run out of memory or MAX shutdown with a kernell error.

Today I render the same scene on a slower CPU with the half of memory but on Windows XP64. and didn't have problems. the render was ok.

Could it be that windows XP64 its better for memory manage?

• Corsair Employee
Could it be that windows XP64 its better for memory manage?

Yes with out question! And with WinXP any application will not have access to more than 2.0 Gig of memory. I would talk to the makers of that software for thei suggestions!

• 3 years later...
I had just recently posted an almost identical issue prior to comming across this post. Although I had 2 VS1GB400C3 installed in A1 B1. I wanted to upgrade to 3 GB so I installed 2 VS512MB400. Everything seems to work OK, but I had discovered shortly afterwards that the timings were slightly different. I want to attach my CPU-Z to this post but it keeps giving me an error.

Archived